water level in toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi..is this the normal level of water in a toilet bowl...?...seems a bit low, works fine though...no blockages as ive just had new kitchen/bathroom extension done..new undergoround pipeworks, manhole etc..see pic..cheers
DSC01121.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you trickle some water in from a jug, or some such contained, is this the level that the water settles at?

If so, then there's nothing wrong.

If it settles higher, but over the course of time subsides, then you have one of the following:

1. A cracked pan.
2. A partial blockage.
3. Inappropriate soil venting.

Softus said:
If you trickle some water in from a jug, or some such contained, is this the level that the water settles at?

If so, then there's nothing wrong.

If it settles higher, but over the course of time subsides, then you have one of the following:

1. A cracked pan.
2. A partial blockage.
3. Inappropriate soil venting.

i poured in a bucket of water, and it settles at the same level..

1. there is no cracked pan..its brand new..just been installed.
2. no blockage..brand new pipes have been laid..like isaid its a new extension
3. brand new swan neck fitting ...if that what you mean......so i think it may be designed like that....thanks mate for the advise..

I am not going to measure it, but ours looks like that, it worked ok half an hour ago when i had a dump

Sponsored Links
goofy gorilla said:
i poured in a bucket of water, and it settles at the same level.
OK.

1. there is no cracked pan..its brand new..just been installed.
I've installed pans that are brand new but cracked and have had to be replaced - **it happens.

2. no blockage..brand new pipes have been laid..like isaid its a new extension
By the same token, new pipes don't mean that there is no blockage.

Never assume anything.

3. brand new swan neck fitting ...if that what you mean......so i think it may be designed like that....thanks mate for the advise..
It isn't what I meant. I meant inappropriate venting. Venting is the provision for both positive and negative pressure within the foul drain to be equalised without affecting the water seal in the WC trap.

For example, if you had no vent, and no AAV, there are circumstances in which the water would be 'sucked' (i.e. pushed by atmospheric pressure) out of the WC pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back