Water main advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone who is clued up about water mains/who works for water board can help me with dilemma

I had water board come round last week as 2 doors down report a flooded garden & water leak. The water main has been found to be leaking.

I am the only person that this water pipe feeds for some reason. This was tested by opening the water board stop-cock & I am the only one without water. The leak is also after the water board stop-cock making it my responsibility rather than water board's.

ANyway, there is a leak between the water board stopcock & my main stopcock in the house. The leak must be in my next door's garden & it will be under a patio.

SO I will have to pay for someone to (or attempt a DIY job) lift up patio slabs, dig holes, find the leak, repair it, replace the soil, then re-do the patio!

This will not be cheap

It all seems like a bit much to me, that I have to repair a pipe in someone elses garden that I have no control over. Does anyone know if this is all correct?

ANy tips on avoiding this or getting out of it without being shafted financially?

Sponsored Links
just tell the n'bour that you have the legal right to access your water main at any time, any place and the fact that he has built over it is his problem and that it is illegal to build over your water main.

and put your gum shield in.

or wear a stab vest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back