water main MDPE pipe under house to the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need lead pipe replacing

had a range of quotes..

some want to go around the house to the back where the kitchen is,

some want to go straight thru the house..

what's best?

Sponsored Links
also had a local non 'approved' plumber offer me a much better price to do this. highly appealing.

Sponsored Links
Check out his work before you decide. Are they moling, or trenching though - through the house will mole of course which will be quicker. Trenching allows you to insulate the pipe (use the highest thickness going), and the water board told me that it's more for protecting the pipe from sharp rocks than actual insulation. You want to be able to do the job with a complete length of pipe, other wise you need access points on any joints, as the pressure fluctuations can cause leaks. When you go through the wall, you core drill the wall at an downward angle put in a piece of 42mm waste pipe, and then use expanding foam to stop any insects getting in.

I trenched, then got my plumber to connect it, and he used a couple of shims to slide the old pipe out of the water meter in the street. At the end of the day, it's a pretty straightforward job.

As it's a lead pipe, start by asking the water co to test your drinking water for lead. There might be a lead replacement subsidy scheme in your area; or they might replace their bit of pipe under the pavement at the same time, or they might offer free connection. Ask straight away because it must be done before you start work, and they can be slow to start appointments. They might also offer a contribution towards replacing a leaking pipe. Old lead pipes might well be leaking in the ground. Policies vary by water co

Use 25mm plastic at least, or 32mm. Use full-bore stopcocks or you won't get the full benefit.

looks like they have replaced their bit of pipe with BLue MDPE already..

its severn trent and they have sent me a form but I am confused!

Are they just talking about free conncection for their bit of pipe? or for replacing my lead pipe? we have young children so this is an issue!

I don't know what their policy is. It ought to be on their website. When I did one in London the subsidy info was hidden away. Perhaps it was an accident, and not a ploy to make it hard for people to find and apply.

I was told that in London they add phosphate which passivates the inside of lead pipes and precludes them providing any LRP expenditure.

Tony

I know the legislation changed a couple of years ago, but I've never managed to get to the bottom of it. I think they're supposed to give you one repair/replacement, but you have to fight to get them to do it, as they deny you the right. In the end, I said sod it, and just dug the trench. I used 20mm MDPE, and the pressures great, I'd possibly push for 25, but 32 might be overkill, and it wouldn't have fitted into the water meter either.

I got a recent quote of £6k for this job although did involve 150m driveway with 10+ moles.

Decided to dig trench (difficult as lots of trees) and Mole just two place over concrete. I think I can get the job done closer to £1k.

As a side point I have the footings of my new extension going in on Saturday. I was going to position a 110mm pipe where I want my new supply to enter house and get the Brickie to lintel over it. Ill then add some bends and feed the new pipe in this way. Any other ways to do it?

Look for Groundbreaker Insuduct on the net - various innovative things to make service pipe installation easier;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back