new MDPE pipe into house-which route to take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
doing a lot of DIY on house -

we need to replace lead pipe. - 25 mm MDPE - speed fit couplings etc.

there are several routes we can take

have a list of pro's and cons. ( as I see them )

any one have some perspective for me?

1 in under the front door. then thru hallway void -and kitchen diner void - up under where sink will be located to stop cock

pro - shortest route to dig.
cons. - under most of house before stop cock in house.

2 in under the hall way stairs - place stop cock in understairs cupboard..
then thru hallway void -and kitchen diner void.

pro's can have a stop cock just where the water enters the house,.

cons - very close to the main fuse board. maybe an extra 2 or 3 meters of trenching to dig

3 - dig trench down the side of the house. round back of the house and enter directly by the kitchen sink.

pros - stop cock under kitchen sink seems a good idea. most pipe work outside of the house should it leak/ need replacing.

cons - about 15 meters extra digging- some old concrete paths will be decimated. they would be replaced at some point but now is not best time!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you got someone who can mole the job, (I have heard that you can hire them) or are you digging. How easy is each route; can you get under the house, and just lay it on the earth. If you trench, how deep do you intend to go, and what's the general weather like. You should be going down 750mm, but I could only get down a foot. I used an angle grinder with a diamond blade to get through the concrete, and a medium breaker to dig the trench about 8" wide. The water board told me to try and make sure I just used a complete piece from the water meter to the internal stop cock, as the joints can leak over time, and I then used a core drill at an angle to get through the bricks, and fitted in a 42mm pipe to pass through the MDPE pipe. They were pleased that I'd used 19mm insulation, as they said it helped stop stones cutting through the pipe as there would be inevitable movement over time.

had a look and it seems they might do.. wouldnt it save some digging?? house built in 1920's

sewer for outside loo and mains water almost at same point in house - and would have to go across garden at close to 45 degrees to hit the street man hole and the street stop cock

looks like it could have once been a shared stop cock - but now they are separated by about a 2 meters ish.

Sponsored Links
Moling will definitely save digging, but you can't insulate the pipe, only draw it through the hole. The danger with moling though, is that you risk hitting something unseen, and they can get knocked off course by bricks etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back