Water mark appeared (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4479.jpeg
Hi I have opened up my hallway to install double doors and within a week this has appeared on the wall on the back of the pillar!! What has caused this? Its very large and grown substantially

Sponsored Links
No i can see into the ceiling the RSJ is there (on top of the pillar) and no pipes. It’s very strange but almost as if because ive taken the wall down, cold air has some how affected the wall? As there’s a void in the celing. Its all i can think of whats causing it

Sponsored Links
What would have caused that to appear out of nowhere? What is the reason it would just do this? Its only happened since I took the wall down (and I’m now assuming cold air is something doing it?)

It certainly looks like a leak. Might be a pipe, a bathroom, or the roof. Sometimes a chimney. Show us what's above. Where are the nearest radiators?

It certainly looks like a leak. Might be a pipe, a bathroom, or the roof. Sometimes a chimney. Show us what's above. Where are the nearest radiators?
There is no pipework, above is my open plan landing. That wall is a solid breezeblock pillar and it’s only on part of the wall (not to the ceiling)

Before I did the timber work in the image, you can see the pillar and the RSJ that sits on it. It seems to have happened since I created the void. Almost as if cold air has caused the salts to come out of the wall. Its all I can actually think of

Is the RSJ wet with condensation?

Have you been plastering or bricklaying?

Where are the nearest radiators?

Show us what's above.

Is the RSJ wet with condensation?

Have you been plastering or bricklaying?

Where are the nearest radiators?

Show us what's above.
No it’s absolutely fine. No plastering or bricklaying. nearest radiator is across the ceiling in the bedroom will get a pic asap

I will do this today. Thanks. It all started when I removed part of the ceiling in the wallway. Almost as if cold air has caused it. And since taking the whole wall down in the hallway, it’s multiplied quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back