Water meter housing, mains cold water question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a leak, well my meters going round.

I turned the stopcock off in the kitchen where cold water comes in via a ratty old bit of 15mm copper, meter still going round.

This morning I dug up outside the front of the house and found the cold water mains [15mm copper], I cut this and capped the end to eliminate copper entering the house. Meter still going round.

So now suspect leak from somewhere between water meter housing and front of house.

I dug round the water meter housing both sides but not wet, I suspected this as we've driven over it a few times and may have disturbed something. It looks dry round this.

Both sides of the water meter housing exit with a elbow that doesn't head towards the house? both exit point elbows head the same direction meaning they will have to cross somewhere. I have dug both sides of WMH albeit different times and both's sides dry sort of, rain runs off the road down onto this area so always a puddle over WMH cover.

Questions:

In the pic is the elbow shown likely to be off the road supply? I suspect it is but never done underground work before.

Also this elbow looks to be cocked up in the air which could be from driving over cover and forcing WMH down as only set in the mud/clay, should this exit off WMH square? at 90 degrees?

I intend digging along this pipe to locate where it reduces to 15mm copper. maybe it's leaking there so will eliminate copper altogether.

Kind regards
Brian

y4mZ4_Rgnv9Th_x2pt7-39smQ49R_b69NcPaVUUmDLhFxZ1QlT65dvbASO-duV-erG0TWOEwOck_kWIhAMWmR8VODWtlusLEZV3i61AWjjj-2QqA20mBnBWQbwE37Ei82jq3DmDkpJku4AsOwMOVWS26mXD6IV-DWfXuNbup_c7aKnAUQ7aKIVhJc9LWusdpNIf

Sponsored Links
Yes, that will be coming off the main.

There will be a plastic to copper fitting on the other side.

Yes, that will be coming off the main.

There will be a plastic to copper fitting on the other side.

Many thanks, never done anything with underground stuff and didn't want to damage anything and not have water.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Keep digging Brian.

Andy

It's lovely out there at the moment, grounds froze, the ground is clay and sticks to everything. I'm getting part the way down and having to switch to the Mrs trowel so I don't strike anything. Looks like both the off road supply and house supply head off in the same direction which is away from the house? think previous owner really wanted to make me work for this one LoL

Brian, look on the brightside. You are saving money getting someone out, you are out of the house and not getting in the wifes way and it's a bit of exercise.

Don't forget to keep posting pictures.

Andy

I hope so, it's in my drive and I have no neighbours?
So you're a bit rural ? A M8's grandfather's bungalow had a supply coming in the kitchen @ the back - farmhouse in it's own land - Water board couldn't find the stopcock by the road - The supply went through a field and round the back then into the kitchen . :eek: So take nothing for granted

So you're a bit rural ? A M8's grandfather's bungalow had a supply coming in the kitchen @ the back - farmhouse in it's own land - Water board couldn't find the stopcock by the road - The supply went through a field and round the back then into the kitchen . :eek: So take nothing for granted

Cheers, fortunately though when I turn stopcock off at meter it goes off in house. You're right that we are rural though, to bloody rural sometimes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back