water meter. worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering a water meter for my flat rather than a straight charge.
the problem is that I have no idea where my stop tap is in the street, or even if this flat has a seperate supply to the one downstairs..

would the still be able to fit one ( presumably where the pipe enters my property? ) or would the have to dig up the path to fit one ( the council will love that, they are in the middle of re-surfacing it.. ) ?

I live alone and shower 2-3 times a week ( whether i need to or not :) )and only do 1-2 loads of laundry a week and run the dishwasher only when it's full, so maybe twice a week..

the calculator on the ST website says..
Terraced property £117
Semi detached property £144
Detached property £170
Clean water supply only £56
Without surface water drainage charges £90
Estimated cubic metres per year 28
Estimated cubic metres per day 0.08
so from what i can figure out it would cost me £117/year? as opposed to the £305 i pay now.. so less than half..

Sponsored Links
Where the water meter goes is the Water Companies problem. They can put them internally, although they don't like too. I'm not sure if the can refuse to give you one.

We're a family of four and a water meter is still cheaper than rateable value, so I'd expect you to be quids in!

great, the next thing is I just paid for half my bill for the year, totaling £152.69, so if I have a meter installed will this be refunded and a bill sent quarterly or whatever they do for meter customers, or will it just be a credit on my account untill I use it all up?

Sponsored Links
My friend had to pay a plumber to do some pipework before they would fit one for him so you should check first.

Can't see them digging up your st to fit you one.

Single bloke should definitely save cash by having a meter. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back