Water penetraing outer wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a leak! Water is coming into the cavity wall above a patio door. I've taken the frame off and the wood above is quite damp. There is a wooden semi circle above the patio doors that meets with a brickwork arch. This seems fairly well sealed.

Above that there is nearly 2 m of old brckwork with poor pointing. My suspicion lays here - see photos. I had suspected the old window above but this has now been replaced and the problem still exists.

Should I slap on the Thomsons waterseal as a tempory and repoint once the weather is a bit warmer?

Another suspect is the lead flashing, it is old and perhaps discontinious inside the wall. Would I need to get an acro or two, support the courses above and replace the flashing?
img1524qn6.jpg

img1525bq9.jpg

img1529cr4.jpg

Sponsored Links
yeah def think its the lead flashing, done a few cavity tray jobs and always seems to solve the problem, just have to be careful when removing the brick not to break them, so not have odd bricks in the back of your house. or could just need a few weep vents putting in to divert the water from the ends if the lead isnt turned up, hope that make sence? hard to explain on here.

how old is the property.

those window reveals don't look like they can accommodate a cavity to me?

Sponsored Links
There is definately a cavity there. I agree the flashing is poor.

Should there be enough water running down the inside of a cavity for the poor flashign to cause a problem?

I was rather hoping some brick sealant and new pointing would stop the water getting in,a voideing having to cut the bricks out and put a new piece of flashing in.

How much should I expect to pay if I got someone in to replace the flashing?

Thanks

Golaboots888 wrote

I agree the flashing is poor.

It shouldn't even be there and is probably the main cause of water ingress due to capillary action.
Sadly their are many cowboys around. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back