water pipe going through new footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, new to the site and seeking advice on a copper water pipe that is running through the bottom of my footings for a new single story extension Im building.

The pipe is about 100mm from the bottom of the footings and my plan was to wrap it in insulation and duck tape it in position and then cover it in a plastic soil pipe to protect it and then put some ballast underneath the pipe to give it some support when pouring my footings, would this be good enough?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the in-place, main water service pipe, or some new supply pipe thats feeding into the new extn?

Rather than encasing it in the concrete footing, why not set in a conduit of plastic drain pipe, say 40mm diameter and then the water supply line can be simply fed through that after the footings have set. Or, if the copper pipe is physically installed, slice the drain lengthways, fit back together over the copper with tape to hold it together.

Either way, no shear force will be applied to the copper by the weight of the building above.

Hi, yes the pipe is existing and Ive done exactly like you said Jackrae but have used left over soil pipe and filled it with insulation to keep it in place and will take it steady when filling the trench.

Thanks for all your replies, no doubt ill be back for some help once i start building!

Sponsored Links
Me personally do not like the idea of burying a copper pipe, especially the modern pipe that is very thin in comparison to the stuff we used 30yrs ago.

I'm no plumber but I would cut out as much of the copper as possible and replace it with underground blue plastic stuff, then weigh the copper in.

Any water or gas under ground needs to be MDPE pipe not copper or lead building regs will ask you to case the pipe with a lintel.
By gigging out your footins then pour in 2 pads one eather side of the pipes then lay engineering bricks just over the hight of the pipes/cables then cut down a concrete lintel and bed this down. let it set and pill the foots.

Its done this way so pipe cables can be added or taken away with ease

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back