Sewer pipe going through footings

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
A garage will be getting built on my site just behind my house soon however ive just noticed that there is a 4inch sewer pipe coming from the house to the septic tank that will be going through the garage. After taking measurements, i have noticed that the pipe will be running through the new concrete footings!

Will it be acceptable for the pipe to run through the concrete or will i need additional work carried out so the footings doesnt effect the pipe in any way.

Unfortunately i dont have the option of re-routing the pipe around the new grage :(

Sponsored Links
As long as you bridge over with lintels and make sure the weight only applies to ground underneath the pipe it won't damage the pipe.

As long as you bridge over with lintels and make sure the weight only applies to ground underneath the pipe it won't damage the pipe.

Can you clarify more. Will the pipe still be surrounded in concrete ? I have worked with pipes going through block footings but can only remember once working with pipes going through the actual concrete but that was working for a builder who wasnt the best for keeping to regs. If i do something, i do it right. Hence wanting to find this out.

No the whole point is you don't do anything to add loading the pipe, leave it as is. You need a gap around the pipe and any loads above taken by a couple of concrete lintels or whatever.

Sponsored Links
No the whole point is you don't do anything to add loading the pipe, leave it as is. You need a gap around the pipe and any loads above taken by a couple of concrete lintels or whatever.

So the concrete lintels go in the footings?

Is this what you are talking about. I found this on the internet! Would this not cause problems if the ground moves more on one side, it will cause cracks above in the block work.

d91a95img_0368-jpg.jpg
3ff65img_0372-jpg.jpg

If it’s an old pipe you might as well renew it.

Bridge a lintel over the pipe where the pipe passes under the wall.

If it’s an old pipe you might as well renew it.

Bridge a lintel over the pipe where the pipe passes under the wall.

Its the orange 4 inch sewer pipe and nothing wrong with it. Your the second person who mentioned the lintel and ive seen it done in block,brick work and even have it in a diagram in a building regs book i have however it doesnt show the pipe going through the actual concrete footing. When you say concrete lintel, how do you mean.

I was thinking of maybe surrounding the 4inch pipe in 6 inch drain flexi pipe, fill with expanding foam then pour the footings over. Then when its time to build the footing clocks, leave out a gap and put lintels over it and build away. This way, if theres any movement in the footings, the expanded foam will take it rather than the pipe. Any weight will be spreaded on the lintels. away from over the pipe. What do you think.

You would either step the concrete and have deeper masonry around the pipe and lintel over it.

Or form a hole for the pipe in the strip when you cast the concrete.

With either method you need to be careful not to create a weak point in the concrete which causes it to crack when it initially settles or later during seasonal movement.

You would either step the concrete and have deeper masonry around the pipe and lintel over it.

Or form a hole for the pipe in the strip when you cast the concrete.

With either method you need to be careful not to create a weak point in the concrete which causes it to crack when it initially settles or later during seasonal movement.

The trench will be 600 deep, 300mm thickness of concrete with 2 course of block above to dpc level. The strip foundation will be a ring right around teh building on the same level without any steps. When you steps, what do you mean?

When you say form a hold, is this as in pic above o as i mentioned to the other poster?

One thing that i forgot to mention in the OP. When building a garage, and when digging out the footings, if i have a 4m wide opening for the roller door, would i need any footings under this gap under the roller door. Isnt it just where the walls are getting built above! I was of the thinking maybe i needed a ring beam foundation right around the building but the more i think about it, surely theres no need under the roller door for concrete foundations.

Last edited:
I thought builders wrapped foul pipes in insulation like rockwall or fibreglass......

Depends on the position of the pipe relative to the depth of the concrete.

I will dig out and get measurements.

What bout the footings under the roller door, should i install concrete footings or leave out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back