Sewer pipe going through footings

Sponsored Links
Ok guys I haven't been able to dig down anymore as the rain has never stopped, but I have took a quick pic if that will help :)
Pipe2.jpg

I would be inclined to pour the concrete in 2 stages and bridge the pipe as it goes across if i see it correctly.
Unless you go deep enough to stop the concrete below the pipe.
Did you say how deep it is?

Whatever you do, it will need a drawing and submitted to whoever your water/sewer authority is, for approval.

I know its a pain, but you could find it impossible to sell without a build over agreement.

Sponsored Links
Never done a build over agreement in London and never been asked for one.
I always inform Thames water in writing but they don't care.
Millions of extensions are built over pipes and manholes and Thames water don't seem to care.
Visited an end of terrace recently and the first available manhole was 6 houses down; all the others had been covered by extensions.

Yep, pour the foundation concrete in two sections either side of the pipe if you are really into poor design and want to increase your chances of differential settlement by 100%. o_O

I planned to dig down to the bottom of the concreate surrounding the pipe, and build up to ground level with blocks on the footings, (unless advised by you lot different ) ;-p but need to sort something with that dam pipe :rolleyes:

@ Woody I am guessing by your reply you think the "pour the foundation concrete in two sections" is not advisable?

If not again all recommendations welcome :)

Pour concrete in 2 session doesn't mean either side of the pipe.
Of course it means up to 50-75mm to bottom of the pipe.
Then bridge pipe, then pour rest of concrete to required level.
To belt and brace steel rods coild also be used but not necessary.
Woody, have you ever been on a building site?
Your questions don't even come from labourers.
Don't mean to be rude, just curious.

Millions of extensions are built over pipes and manholes and Thames water don't seem to care.
Visited an end of terrace recently and the first available manhole was 6 houses down; all the others had been covered by extensions

The law changed in 2011 and all sewers crossing a neighbours land were adopted and became public sewers.
Hence why so many were built over.

Never done a build over agreement in London and never been asked for one.
I always inform Thames water in writing but they don't care

I am surprised you havent been asked for a build over agreement, building regulation H4 state a b/o agreement is required, if building within 3metres, before work commences.
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk...lding-over-drains-and-sewers/10032498.article

A thread here on issues that no build over agreements can cause to house sale
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1354307

Thames water are quite decent to deal with and a simple build over can be self certified
https://developers.thameswater.co.u...sewer-application/Apply-to-build-over-a-sewer

Re just ignoring build over agreements, Thames water were certainly interested in taking 299 pounds for a build over agreement on our extension, and the new walls weren't even on the pipe, just nearby. In our case building control also informed thames water, so it might depend which building control you are going through whether you get away with it.
Of course if the pipe fails later, it could be more difficult to prove it wasn't anything to do with your extension (hence the houses becoming difficult to sell without the agreement)

Some unscrupulous tradespeople also mention they've done loads of alterations without bothering to inform building control, and there wasn't any come back, but again, all the paperwork isn't just there to keep the paper factories in business.

Woody, have you ever been on a building site?
A what? o_O

I built a barbecue in the summer, if that counts? Lovely sausages too.

Now you do sound like someone who has been on lots of theses building sites, so I'll look forward to your insights for my next projects.

As for the labourers not asking questions, do you think that's why they are labourers? Just sayin'

Ok peeps thanks everyone for you input so far all appreciated, however a little off the mark from my original question from some :)

So lets just say I have every permit / agreement needed, what wound be the best option? I have dug down further and found as I suspected it all sits on a 70mm footing, I have knocked up a quick drawing with the sizes.
pipe3.png

How deep are your fundations?
I mean, how far further down than the 70mm are you going?
To be honest, the fact that the pipe is covered in concrete doesn't help.
I suppose it's a clay pipe, not plastic.
Can you confirm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back