Water storage tank leaking!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just noticed that my immersion water tank is leaking. Not sure on what type of tank it is but it is mains fed and has a header tank on it. I live in a flat and am on economy 7 and was wondering what type of tank i need to buy? Been looking at tanks on the internet and not sure if it is vented/unvented, any help on this will be great
Thankyou.[/u]

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a direct fortic (or combination cylinder, there are probably other coloquial names as well). Your best option, in my opinion, is to get someone in

Thanks guys for reply, yes it looks like the Fortic Tank. Here is a pic of mine, just out of interest what should i be expecting to pay for one? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I notice the cover off the bottom immersion, is the leak coming from there, did you remove the cover to check if that's the problem? Hope you're not using it with cover off.

The cover has always been off the Emerson heater element, since I bought the flat, I know it is dangerous sorry :( I think the leak is at the bottom of the tank. I have turned the mains water off going into the tank and switched the bottom element off as well. Will try and source a combination cylinder, thank you for the help :D

As TWGAS suggests, I would get someone in to have a check to see where it's leaking, it may just be a weeping connection.

Cylinders can range vastly in price, if you go online looking for an "Economy 7 direct combination cylinder" you will get some idea

Yes i think that is a good idea to get it checked over for the leak and i will go online and search for the Economy 7 combination heater. Not much money at the moment so i am hoping it is a straight forward swap over as my BF said he will install it. Thank you for your help on this :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back