Water supply 13L per minute ~ which boiler system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have checked it twice, 13 litre per minute, in close succession at arround 1500 (3 in the afternoon). The street has many multi occupancy and student houses so at peak times maybe pressure drops?

CURRENTLY I have a vaillant 624 r1 feeding a cylinder, with tank in loft.

I am renovating the house at the moment and is the perfect time to replace, remove boiler /cylinder.

WHEN finished it will be a two bedroom (Victorian) house with two reception rooms (one to used as a bedroom) and a massive kitchen diner.
+ It will have 8 radiators (3 of which are double ).
+ Under stair toilet with hot water tap to wash hands.
+ Hot water tap in kitchen, dishawasher and washing machine.
+ Corner bath (wife looking at 230 litre) with shower attachment (NOT separate shower) and obviously sink.

Two adults two kids (maybe a 3rd?), maybe a loft conversion in the future making it 11 radiators and adding a shower room ~ maybe electric shower), but still need hot water for sink

PLease help, shops offer different advice depending on what they are selling. Lost a little confidence with my plumber. Wife wants higher hot water pressure.

Please help! Confussed

Sponsored Links
Stick with the vaillant and change your cylider to an unvented, and get yor hot water at mains pressure.

Stick with the vaillant and change your cylider to an unvented, and get yor hot water at mains pressure.

With only 13lpm on the cold mains............not an idea really!

If your mainly shower people a 28kw combi will suffice......if that bath is going to be filled regually then a conventional storage tank and cyclinder would be the best option IMO. You can then put a pump on for the shower.

With only 13lpm on the cold mains............not an idea really!

If your mainly shower people a 28kw combi will suffice......if that bath is going to be filled regually then a conventional storage tank and cyclinder would be the best option IMO. You can then put a pump on for the shower.

:oops: :oops: I read that as 18, just put my glasses on and your right :rolleyes:

;)

Sponsored Links
Consider upsizing the water main or fitting an accumulator (subject to pressure reading which you haven't provided).

You could look at fitting an accumalator and going for an unvented cylinder.

Simond will hopefully comment further for you, as apart from knowing what they are and what they do, I have no experience of them.

EDIT; you beat me to it Simon :rolleyes: :LOL:

a 230 litre bath, filling at 13 litres per min, will take 18 minutes to fill.

If you are portly so need less water it will be quicker

seems a bit slow to me though.

I have a 70 gall CWC in the loft and 22mm pipes so my baths fill very fast using stored water. If I felt the need I could get a shower pump.

I suppose this is a bit old fashioned so maybe you prefer a complex modern expensive solution to give worse performance.

Cheers! So what 28 kw combi do you recommend.

or

What accumulater and unvented cylinder?

Not keen on the tank in the loft! Just not my cup of tea.

Cheers! So what 28 kw combi do you recommend.

or

What accumulater and unvented cylinder?

Not keen on the tank in the loft! Just not my cup of tea.

Vaillant ecotecplus 831 or Vaillant ecotecpro 28. Also look at the glow worm ultracom 30cxi.

Just got in cambridge water company, they confirmed 13 l per min.
Pressure 3 bar.

He said with that water flow, he wouldn't recommend a combi boiler.
It is a shared water supply. If the pipe is lead they will repace it for free. Otherwise the way to get more pressure is to install your own larger pipe from the stop.

Unless you want to renew the pipe, I'd recommend keeping the unvented system and adding a pump for the shower/bath. You'll probably end up unhappy with your system if everything runs off mains.

sounds a bit old fashioned ;)

as if you're only interested in good performance!

He said with that water flow, he wouldn't recommend a combi boiler.
We all agree on that then

It is a shared water supply. If the pipe is lead they will repace it for free.
Most would choose that option

Otherwise the way to get more pressure is to install your own larger pipe from the stop.
Yes and no. It won't increase the static pressure (the pressure with no water flowing) but it would increase the dynamic pressure (the pressure when water IS flowing) and it would increase the flow rate as a result.
If your flow rate is good enough, and internal distribution pipes correctly sized, a combi would be reasonable for a shower with another modest tap open, at around 35kW. Less than that and the showeree stars to moan!

If you get the pipe upgraded and still have low flow you could consider combining a combie with a cylinder. Run the shower from the combie and the other hot water from the vented cylinder. The result will be good showering fast filling baths and shower and bath can be used/filled simultainously.

If you get the pipe upgraded and still have low flow you could consider combining a combie with a cylinder. Run the shower from the combie and the other hot water from the vented cylinder. The result will be good showering fast filling baths and shower and bath can be used/filled simultainously.

Good advice but a bit on the late side, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back