Water tank leaky pipe - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to whether i should attempt a diy job, rather than call a plumber.

The water tank in our airing cupboard has just recently started a slow leak.
I think it's where we have put bedding in beside the tank and nudged the pipe.
We have tried to stop it by using Plumbers Mait putty which goes hard, but this has not alleviated the problem.
There is some scale around the pipe, but i can't see any rust.

Is it worth us draining the tank and attempting to repair this by perhaps cleaning the area of scale & re-tightening the nut, perhaps using some sealant tape?
Haven't done this sort of thing before, so ANY advice would be very gratefully received.

Also - if we were to do the above, we need to remove the Plumbers Mait sealant, which now of course is hard. Any recommendations how we should go about removing this?

Thanks so much in advance :(

Sponsored Links
Depends exactly where the leak is coming from. Ther's a pipe from the boiler which goes through the side ofthe HW cylinder, via a connection, and out again directly above/below.
If the joint between the connection and the copper of the cylinder is leaking it probably means a new cylinder.
You should be able to get plumbers mait off with a sharp knife etc, and some wire wool. Once you can see you can decide.
The fittings mustn't be overtightened, or they will leak.

Thanks for your feedback guys.
Not sure which pipe it is (as in where it's from/to), to be 100%.
The pipe is about half way up the tank, and there is another pipe near the top also.
If it's any help, we have Economy 7 storage heating and a switch if we want to activate the immersion (i.e. if we need a second lot of hot water after the initial one has been used).

The leak, i think, is coming from around the nut, but again, can't be certain.
Will need to get rid of the plumber's mait and take another look.

Odd thing though, it seems to have got worse since applying the Plumbers Mait, it was an occassional trickle, but is now more regular.

Does this help clarify what i'm dealing with at all?

Many thanks again x

Sponsored Links
Cylinder or Storage Tank?
Hmm, not sure of the difference actually, sorry :(

Could you explain?
Thank you

Right, have looked on the net, and it is a pipe connecting to the 'cylinder' i am having problems with.

Hope that helps, thanks again

That's what I assumed you meant - so comments there apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back