Water very slowly leaking into toilet bowl...please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water has been slowly leaking into this toilet bowl, but it seems to stop if I push down and fidget with the white cylinder after every flush. If I don't then the slow leak starts again.

Presumably something is not tight down there, but there's nothing that I can unscrew and I can't see how I can get it out. I don't seem to have a stop tap in my flat (checked kitchen sink, bathroom etc, there's one on the road but I'm not sure which tap it is as they are not labelled) so it'd be good to be able to fix this problem without having to stop water.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Firstly let me tell you that I'm not a plumber.

However, I'd like to suggest that it need not be necessary to turn of the water supply; you can tie up the float valve to prevent water filling the cistern.

As for the leak, I'm afraid I know nothing about this particular system. On the other hand, I recently managed to remove the flush valve which, like yours, had a minor leak. I simply gave the rubber seal a wipe, replaced it, and the leak had been sorted.

I'm sure there'll be a real plumber along soon to offer some more professional advice.

Usually the flushing device is not seated properly or theres a bit of grit on the washer

That's exactly what I found with mine. Easily fixed at no cost.

Sponsored Links
I cleaned the washer and it helped a bit. But what happens now is there is still a slight leak via the top of the valve (rather than via the washer) but it goes away if I push down the valve a bit....

Is that because you think the syphon (I assume that's the flush valve) is broken and leaking? Is this normal?

Could it be anything else?

Thanks again

;)

I agree with Herts 100%. The fluidmaster cistern kit is a wonder! Fitted one the other day. Easy to fit and number 1 and number two flushes. Easy to fit. That is unless the WC is close coupled and the cistern to tank fittings are brass or stainless and not rusted up to b&%$@ry!

JBR????
Don't you dare "diss" the Lancastrians. They (we) don't need religious guidance and especially frem Yerkies :!:
Lancashire is where many knowledgable and wise Christian organisations originated from. Mormons 3rd biggest temple is in Chorley!
What has Yorkshire ever given us :?: :rolleyes: :D
I did my part to educate and enrich the cultural fabric of Yerksha by marrying a Rotherham lass and moving there.

JBR????
Don't you dare "diss" the Lancastrians. They (we) don't need religious guidance and especially frem Yerkies :!:
Lancashire is where many knowledgable and wise Christian organisations originated from. Mormons 3rd biggest temple is in Chorley!

What has Yorkshire ever given us :?: :rolleyes: :D

Yorkshire pudding.
Wensleydale cheese.
Michael Palin.
Me.

I could go on... but don't encourage me. :LOL:

Eccles Cakes, Warburtons bread
Crumbly, soft, Lancashire cheese
Fred Dibnah

Me (although I think that I was in self imposed exile moving to Yerksha)

County cricket championships since 1890:

Yorkshire: 30 + 1 shared

Lancashire: 8 + 1 shared

Come on Loafer! Where are you?

I can only assume that such things are the real reason you emigrated to Yorkshire to better yourself! :LOL:

Football first division and premier league titles since records began.......

Yorkshire.......not very many
Lancashire.....loadsandloadsandloads

:LOL:

Football first division and premier league titles since records began.......

Yorkshire.......not very many
Lancashire.....loadsandloadsandloads

:LOL:

Oh, I completely agree.

But cricket requires intelligence; football could be played by anyone who has the capability of prancing about like a fairy, then diving to the floor and pretending to be injured...

or is good at biting!

Yorkshire was very pretty when I last visited. But Stone Roses are from Manchester, as are The Smiths :)

But back to the original thread....

The original volume of leak is back again after I cleaned the washer, which seemed to minimise the leak without stopping it. I think the leak was coming from both the washer and somewhere above the washer nearer to the water level. If it's leaking from above the washer, is it likely that the mechanism is just broken (rather than loose) and I have to buy a new one? The leak does stop if I adjust/push down the valve (syphon?) after every flush.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back