Waterlogged floorboards during building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the middle of a home extension which includes entirely new roof, and new joists and floorboards.

Before the xmas break they left the ridge tiles and other gaps in the roof, and no scafolding with cover, so it wasn't weatherproof. With the recent heavy rain we've quite a few days of rains pouring in in parts of the house and there are puddles all over the place on the first floor and loft level.

The builders have used green (treated for water resistance) chipboard floorboards and claim that the water puddles won't matter. But take a look at these photos ...

The floorboards are all newly fitted. Should I be concerned about them (1) getting damaged (2) retaining water and getting rot (3) taking ages to dry and preventing second fix and delaying the project.
20170109_160323.jpg 20170109_160110.jpg

thanks,
Ash

Sponsored Links
I would be horrified if that was mine.....a sprinkle with water and then mopped up, fair enough but those boards look as if they've been soaked for a while.
John :)

Is the flooring filmed? I wouldn't worry about rot. It will dry out quickly enough once the roof is on. I would be more concerned with the chipboard disintegrating due to the amount of water its absorbed but if that's the case you'll know about it when it dries out.

Filmed boards limits the possible water absorption considerably.

I wouldn't be happy either. Careless and irresponsible builder. Objective is to get the boards re-laid without him turning his back on the job - difficult conversation to have.

Sponsored Links
It's a poor attitude, and they should have run a wet and dry vac over it, but they should dry out okay. I've left the green stuff out in the rain for a week, and it's been fine.

ashirusnw, good evening.

I am under the impression that green Chipboard is "Moisture resistant"

Suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask about moisture resistance versus ponding? over a period of time?

Have any of the fixing nails or screws become rusted? and is there any bulging of the Chipboard around the fixings?

Ken.

Whatever the damage to the floor , it indicates a pretty poor attitude and I'd be wondering what other bodges they're doing.

I'd insist it's replaced. If you have ponding, does that not imply the floor wasn't flat and level to start with?

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked with my own level and it the floor does seem level. I didn't check closely enough for bulging around the fixings so I'll do that tomorrow and report back.

It does seem like it was "only" a day or two of there being a large gap in the roof. Over 23 Dec-5th Jan it has a few small leaks but nothing as bad as these photos.

Sponsored Links
Back