Waterproof Glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a knife, annoyingly only a year or so old, it's broken as per the pic, now I have a replacement already sent out by the manufacurer but seeing as the knife bit is still pretty sharp I'd like to see if I can get some more life out of this one by gluing it back together, I figured I could do a dowel joint perhaps but seeing as I'll need to wash it obvously it needs to be a waterproof glue, does anything exist that won't cost the earth, the knife is only worth about £15 new so I can't be doing spending a fortune on a glue.

knife.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thinking something like this having had a google, I wonder what the shelf life is like on such products once they've been opened? I'm guessing the new one will break in the same place in a year or so ..... it looks like a design flaw to me the way it's broken, it snapped where two different materials meet.

I would try it with a normal 2 part epoxy resin type stuff, araldite or knock off brand

Sponsored Links
Remove remaining handle and fit on a wooden one.
Buy off ebay

Dowel insert, epoxy glue then whipping with fishing braided line. Worked for my old mums spud peeler.

Broom handle but hard wood.
Cheap bargain stores sell hard wood kitchen boards and spoons ect and could use one of those handles.
Soft wood may split easy so avoid

Yeah, you are better off buying or making a new handle as if you repair it, then it could break again and cause you an injury.

Bin it.

I doubt that you will be able to fit a dowel given that the break is probably where the end of the metal is.

£7 for epoxy glue that may well fail given the small surface area and stresses involved doesn't strike me as being prudent.

If there's enough if a cavity either side you could use a couple of screws, not screwed in with heads cut off as internal splints, fill each side with epoxy and whack it together quickly .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back