Waterproof joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am using moisture board in my shower with waterproofing kit before tiling. What is best to use to fill the joints in the plasterboard?

I was told to use glass fibre mesh and a quality tile adhesive?

Any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your tanking the walls, use polyester matting or tape. Depending which kit you are using, the tapes can be applied by the use of first coat of waterproof coating. But read the manufactures instruction with kit for guidance.

By “moisture board” do you mean moisture resistant plaster board? Plasterboard of any sort is not ideal in wet areas even when tanked. If you have a recessed shower valve or concealed pipes, the back of the boards are always going to be vulnerable to water damage in the event of a leak. A waterproof tile backer board is by far superior; it doesn’t require tanking & the cost will be about the same as PB when if you include the cost of tanking.

What “waterproofing kit” are you using? They usually come with a self adhesive waterproof polyester tape which will bridge gaps up to 1.5mm when used with the tanking compound. You could use a waterproof tub mix tile adhesive but do not use cement powder based adhesive unless you acrylic prime the PB or you risk a reaction between the cement & gypsum in the PB. Do not use silicone.

You will probably need to use a bonding primer before applying the tanking anyway. What type/weight/size tiles are you laying?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back