Waterproof membrane problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I think I have made a school boy error and not thought something through which is looking like there is no way out...

... Basically I have managed to put up my own conservatory on a concrete floor. The dwarf wall is not brick it is concrete slabs bracketed together. I have therefore painted wickes bitumen damp proofing paint on the floor and also the whole of the dwarf wall (internal). The problem is that I now need to Batern the dwarf wall so I can plasterboard it. However I can't drill as it will disturb the membrane but also the wall is to thin. I can't find what adhesive to use. The grab stuff which normally works great for most stuff seems to not hold to the membrane paint and just re activates it. I checked the back of the grab adhesive and it even says not to use on bitumen.

I was thinking to Maybe mix some water with pva and run that over the walls to create a barrier then stick the Batten using the grab, then plasterboard and job done.

Does anyone know if this will work or what adhesive to use. I know I should have probably battened first then applied the membrane but in honesty I probably rushed getting excited to see the end result. Any help is really appreciated.

Scott

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/help-please.465558/#ixzz4IeR5nCck

Sponsored Links
You can screw through a membrane with no problem.

Screw a batten to the floor and one at cill level to the slabs and keep the vertical studs independent of the wall.

I'd love to see a picture of the slabs as a dwarf wall!

Just a thought, see if foam plasterboard adhesive can stick to the bitumen. InstaStik is one type.

Although strictly, you should not stick anything to a coating. As the coating can detach, and then the thing stuck to it comes away too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back