Waterproofing floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of an insurance claim disaster - the builders sent to repair floor damage to my ceramic tile floor didn't look at the damage that the water did under the tiles and just ripped out the whole floor. I inherited the floor from previous owners - who apparently didn't install any damp proofing before laying the latex and then floor tiles. Of course my insurance company is under no obligation to pay for damp proofing as it wasn't in place in the first place. Had I known that I wouldnt have gone ahead with the claim as it would prove too expensive. I have two questions:

1. should the builder have checked under the tiles to see what the extent of the damage was and also if there was damp proofing so he could advise me what I was up against BEFORE ripping out the whole floor (I am left with a concrete slab now, at least I had floor tiles before)?

2. how can I install a damp proof course myself? I have already started works on the bathroom and am at a point where I can't really stop those works and can't afford to pay someone to do both rooms at the moment.

Please don't refer me back to the insurance company/loss adjuster, I think they've just had enough of me and want me out of their hair. No one seems to understand my frustration and no one at the building company will answer my question as to why they didn't (or don't) excavate to see what damage was done under the floor.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I would give Ardex a call, they sell products that are poured onto a cocrete floor to act as a membrane.

My knowledge is a little limited on this so I wasn't even gonna post a reply, I just know that the technicians at Ardex are one of the best in the Country. :-

http://www.ardex.co.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back