waterproofing plasterboard or the alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have seen a post on here somewhere that says plasterboard is bombproof if sealed properly first. I can't find it again. I need to tile over the board.

So, what do I use to seal the board? How long would I have to wait before tiling? Would normal tile adhesive be okay?

To put you in the picture, I have a house I let out which has a wet room upstairs. Water has got behind some of the wall tiles and the tenants were alerted to this by water on the downstairs ceiling.

He took off a few of the wall tiles and then alerted me when he found a patch of rotten plaster.

So, I don't know how many tiles I'll have to remove before finding a sound backing. When I cut out the bad plasterboard I can measure the thickness to see what I have to buy as a replacement.

The problem is that I need to complete the job quickly. I don't suppose the tenants would care to wait a few days as, in particular, they have a young child.

Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No, I shoved in a panel of Hardiebacker and tiled over that. The tenants have been using the shower now for two days and, so far, without leaks.

Thanks for you willingness to help, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back