Wax capsule question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to some advice I got here recently, I want to change the wax capsule on my Potterton Puma 80e.

Referring to image here: //www.diynot.com/network/TomWoodgate/albums/4301/17223

do I need to change the entire wax capsule assembly, or is it somehow possible to change the wax capsule within the assembly? Looking at it, it seems pretty solid, but maybe some of you know different!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So according to this, you have to change the entire wax capsule assembly, not just the wax capsule itself?

Undo the 2 x 1/2" nuts then locate and undo the 2 x grub screws just behind the wax capsule element on the body of the diverter. Undo these, i think they are a 2.5mm hex, then pull the wax capsule section off. Dont forget to drain the boiler 1st!

Sponsored Links
can't see pic above.

You can change just the front section which incorporates the wax capsule and the rod which pushes the rear section of the valve open.if you turn off water, open hot tap, drain boiler (don't be tempted to use islation valves underneath unless you want to change thease as well). I tape a bag around pcb and catch remaining water in ice cream tub resting on pcb housing..
Undo two 1/2nuts (will need psare 1/2"washers).
undo grub screws.
Pop out front section.
Replace with new front section. make sure you get pushrod located correctly!

9 out of 10 of these are fine. Have had a run where the rear valve is siezed.

Not much harder to change entire valve
spray penetrating oil on backnut holding diverter body onto boiler jig.
I find best thing to persuade nut to move is a hammer and a small cold steel chisel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back