PLEASE !!! Potterton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a sinking feeling I might be back ! Well changed diverter valve and wax assembly to potterton puma 80e on Monday and everything was fine. The hot water is still working fine, but alas three little kids are freezing. The rads are stone cold. If anyone as any ideas what might still be the problem please ,please let me know. Any help appreciated. Many thanks, getting really desperate this close to Christmas.

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler still firing up on demand. Did he just replace wax capsule or complete diverter?

Hi, my husband replaced the whole diverter ata cost to the skin on his fingers and wallet £127.00 !! It has been working fine since then. I have'nt programed the timer as its been so cold I just left heating on constant. Then today it just went again. The boiler IS firing on demand.

Check no hot taps are dripping. This will stop the diverter opening. Shut off water into boiler to prove.

From memory you say its recently had new pump, pcb and now diverter... all common parts but usually last longer than a few days

Sponsored Links
Checked taps straight away this afternoon ! the boiler is making a loud whooshing noise inside, a bit like when a washing machine drains. Thanks for your help.

You have air in the boiler still. Turn boiler off and vent the pump via the black cap on the front. Bit tricky, you have to unscrew it then pull it about a bit till you get a hiss of air then a little water. Do this a few times untill noise has gone.

This is usually needed to be done whenever the boiler is drained.

No hot water letting by to the washing machine?

Doing a divertor on a puma tomorrow, hate the 'back' connection.

Dave

Back connection designed by a sadist,check your auto air vent is venting air automatically.:cool:

I think ? washing machine is ok. But we have just looked at the pcb board, I will try and describe as best i can ! there is a grey sort of battery thing. Then a back to front L shaped clear box with copper colour inside. Then three more clear boxes. The third box as you face the boiler on the left is showing half copper colour and half black. Does this mean the board has gone ? can you replace one bit of it or repair, or do we need a whole new board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any help very very very appreciated

The clear boxes are relays - don't worry , the contacts go black for amusement.
Critical failure point on a puma board is the top left corner, on the back as you look at it.
Sometimes you get a bad joint you can resolder, sometimes it blows the corner of the board off.

Forget the clear plastic boxes (relays) the contacts are often burnt (I've only ever changed a couple of them).

Have you isolated the cold feed to the boiler - you must try this first. A slightly dripping tap or water leak will not allow the front section of the diverter to gain sufficient heat.

When you put the heating on the boiler should fire up. It will initially circulate water in a loop around the boiler - feel the right hand pipes to the heat exchanger. They will get too hot to touch. At this point the burner will extinguish but the pump will continue to circulate. After a short period (perhaps 10 or 20 seconds) you should here the pump noise change slightly. The front section of the diverter will have been brought up to temperature and the wax element will expand in lenght to operate the diverter. Cooler radiator water now flows into the boiler and the thermistor (now cooled) will refire the boiler.

well it fired up about 30 mins ago and all the radiators got nice and hot ! then the boiler went off and I saw a blue neon spark in the far left plastic box on the pcb board. will wait to see what happens. husbands gone to work now. I have again checked for dripping taps, bit confused by washing machine ? were would I check for leaks.

The boiler is now making a prolonged high pitched screeching noise for a thirty secons at a time. Husband on his way back from work. if I turn the hot water on it makes the screeching noise again, enough to wake the dead and all the children. Looks like no hot water now as well for good measure. What is this noise likely to be. Husband released air from the pump earlier as suggested. many thanks

Well here we are another day and cold. Husband seems to think it might be something to do with the pressure guage being faulty, what problems would this create ? any suggestions greatly welcomed. Also from reading through previous posts I assume the screeching noise is the PUMP ? the boiler will still fire up but is not HAPPY. When its fired up there seems to be a clicking noise up above the flames.

screeching noise is usually air in pump,
pressure gauge prob will not stop the boiler working unless there is no water when you think there is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back