WAY TO HANG A GARDEN GATE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to make my garden gate close after someone opens it, if it was wooden, i would have no probs, but its a metal gate between 2 brick piers, next doors gate closes automatically when someone comes in, with no help from door closers, so i'm thinking there must be a way to hang the hinges so that the door closes behind the person. when the gate is opened, the hinges are at right angles to the gate when the gate is closed.

Sponsored Links
You can fit a spring gate closure or off set the hinges, both will work, although off setting the hinges can look like you did a bodge job hanging the gate & it probably wont close & firmly.

well its not a solid metal gate, I suppose you could describe it as ornate, so there is nowhere to fit a spring closure too, I don't know what you mean by offset, do you mean put something behind the hinges or put one hinge to the left or right of the other, this is probably the answer I am looking for, could you possible expand on it.

Ornate metal gate, I assume its made of mild steel strip, you drill it, buy a spring closure & nut & bolt it the gate.
Offset you put the top hinge to the r/h side & the bottom to the l/h side or vice versa, that will give the gate a kick left or right, you don't need to do it by much. You can try remove the top hinge & hold it to one side & the gate will swing left or right.
I have used both methods, I didn't like the spring as it kept banging shut

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back