WB Combis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had a couple of local Worcester-Bosch accredited installers round over the last few days, they have pretty much all recommended to me the same products but left it up to me to make the final decision. This is to replace my existing back boiler in the lounge with a new combi boiler.

I made a preference for a Compact and was advised either the 30Si compact or 32CDi compact (for about £100 extra). Looking at their brochure, both the size & efficiency seem the same, barring the obvious fact that the 32CDi has the slight extra flow rate and higher hot water output. Are there any other differences that might sway my judgment given the negligible cost difference?

For what it's worth, at the moment the boiler would not currently fit in a cupboard, but I had planned a new kitchen in a couple of years so could live for it exposed for the time being.
One of the installers mentioned to me that the Compacts are quite noisy (it will be installed in a kitchen-diner) and recommended that I either get a 30i or a 29CDi purely on noise grounds. I've had a look online and can't see where the noise of their respective products is listed; does anyone know, or if not does this tie-in with anyone else's experience with the Compacts (ie. are there any other downsides other than cost in getting a compact versus a "normal" sized boiler)?

Sponsored Links
get your tin hat out, WB are not the most preferred on here, totally up to you what you go for, there are a lot better boilers on the market than them

Ask your installer if they can recommend any other brand.

The only Worcester worth touching IMHO is the CDi Classic..but it's pricey.

Sponsored Links
I'm after Worcester Bosch rather than them recommending them to me!

Hi all,

Had a couple of local Worcester-Bosch accredited installers round over the last few days, they have pretty much all recommended to me the same products

Let me guess, they've all recommended Worshitter Bodge products? How surprising...

You do realise that WB accreditation is based on number of installs rather than quality, don't you? A Gold installer just throws more boxes onto walls in a year than a Bronze one... If you really must have a WB, the CDi Classic is the best in the range, but there are much better boilers out there for a lot less money

It was _me_ that wanted a WB having done appropriate research beforehand. I’ve always had Vaillant but wanted to support a British company so decided upon Worcester Bosch.

I'm after Worcester Bosch rather than them recommending them to me!
DIYnot has a forum section only accessable to gas safe registered pros in the trade.
It does mean this forum does have a lot of central heating installers amongst its members.

Almost none of them have anything very positive to say about Worcester Bosch. My understanding as a layman is that WB spend lots of money on marketing but the boilers are built with cheap components and long reliability isnt great. WB does have good technical support and lots of engineers though.

I get the impression heating engineers have their favorite makes, so their some element of bias but generally the advice Ive seen is that the best option is to go for an independant installer who has experience of the boiler you choose and can service it.

My advice would be start another thread asking for recommendations for other manufacturer options -theres no harm in considering alternatives, you can still choose WB. If you say your location you might find somebody who could fit you a boiler as well.

Not all brands have this teiring system.

Yes perhaps I should have written "" Doesn't that apply to many ( all ) manufacturers who promote sales via "approved / accreditted" installers

Many lesser known manufacturers sell on reputation and word of mouth. Or the end user does some in depth research going beyond just looking at glossy adverts.

Or the end user does some in depth research going beyond just looking at glossy adverts.

Very few actually do any tangible research. Most think Which? is based on actual testing rather than the incestuous relationship between subscribers, past recommendations and huge marketing budgets.

There are of course reward schemes more or less across the board.

Wooshitter's however is incredibly strict on volumes sold. But the sales rep's arrogance is astonishing. I remember the disbelief expressed by my rep when I told him I was happy to be no longer bronze level.

You'd have thought I'd slapped his missus in the face.

It was _me_ that wanted a WB having done appropriate research beforehand. I’ve always had Vaillant but wanted to support a British company so decided upon Worcester Bosch.

WB are about as British as the Monarchy... the only boiler brand that could vaguely claim to be British is Baxi, and even they have foreign-made parts in them, and are owned by BDR Thermea. Still, if you want to inflict such over-priced middle-of-the-road things on yourself, it's a free country. Go for the CDi Classic in that case, it's the least worst in the range

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back