WBP Plywood floor getting wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The misery continues ...

I have just noticed now that the WBP plywood that was used as the floor of my summerhouse is getting wet ..

It was not treated (as far as I can tell) and I cannot reach the edges to seal it..

I will be putting a vinyl floor over it, so I am not too worried about appearance - My main concern is rotting ...

Should I be concerned, or is WBP resistant (in its not finished state) to the odd rain shower ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
how is it getting wet !!!!!!

you must remove the source of the damp or the floor will rot

is the floor properly raised off the ground by several inches with ventilation and the shed side fully covering the floor by at least 1"!!

Thanks for the reply ...

The summehouse is raised off of the ground (on stilts).

The floor of the summerhouse was built with treated wood. Howver their was a gap in the middle (of about .5 inch), so the constructor put ply down across the whole floor (but from what I can see left it untreated). The sumerhouse was thn erected on this

Ibelieve that waster is get on the outer edges of the plywood and travelling about 5cm inwards (where I observe it)

The problem is that on the outer edge the summerhouse "rests" on the ply therefore there is no way for me to treat it ..

I just cant see any options to be frank, other than call the installer..

the sides must protect the plywood or you will never have a dry floor
i am assuming this is not the case so you will need to install a further plank[ or part off ]to the bottom of the wall assuming theres a groove avalable

or introduce a bit of felt or plastic thats tucked up the back of the bottom off tha wall and extends down to cover the floor edge by around 1" to keep it dry

Sponsored Links
Appreciate your input.

I shall follow your advice, and remove the bottom plank and try and protect the ply.

May I ask is there a wood treatment you would recommend ? whilst I expose the plywood I might as well spray it with something or other before covering it

If the ply has got wet, it will de'laminate, nothing will stop it. Unless it is marine ply.

Appreciate your input.

I shall follow your advice, and remove the bottom plank and try and protect the ply.

May I ask is there a wood treatment you would recommend ? whilst I expose the plywood I might as well spray it with something or other before covering it

no paint on protection will fully protect normal ply the ones that work by making a hostile enviroment for fungus/mold attacks wont stop the glue giving up eventually
and the barrier sort like paint/varnish tend to crack quite readily because of the layers off the ply moving at different rates

i fully agree with zennon eventually the ply will delaminate but assuming its exterior your talking weeks rather than months continuos exposure you will probbably be ok

have you got a picture to fully help understand the situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back