WC Lighting Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best way to light this small room. The room is v.small (900 x 1700mm) but has an awkward ceiling. I would like to avoid too much shadowing.

I was thinking 2x led spot lights:
- 1x standard led spot above the WC (head height is 2.1)
- 1x on tilting led spot sloping season

Should this be ok?

WC.JPG

Sponsored Links
I have a mirror above the sink.
And a shaving light above the mirror. (I had a spare)

I find this does a really good job of lighting the wc, much better than the spot light in the ceiling.

It’s the same layout as yours.

Thanks. Would a wall lamp need any bathroom rated if it was operated from the switch outside the door?

I have had a look at your picture. Unless you have changed the design (and made the room bigger) I cannot detect any sign of a bath or a shower.
So it is a room like any other room. You can have any lights, sockets, etc that you want. They do not need to be "bathroom" or anything.
You can even have a light switch inside the room!

Sponsored Links
I cannot detect any sign of a bath or a shower. So it is a room like any other room.
Thanks, it just has a basin & wc (I had presumed that these might mean it needed special rules).

Is it usually preferable to put the light switch on the inside or outside?

My downstairs WC is 770mm x 1560mm with a similar layout except the basin is a little corner one. (Picture my wash basin in your bottom right corner and the door where your basin is).
We have one downlighter in the centre with the switch inside to the left of the door frame when looking out.

Thanks, it just has a basin & wc (I had presumed that these might mean it needed special rules).
No, as you have been told, the 'special rules' only apply to rooms which contain a bath and/or shower.
Is it usually preferable to put the light switch on the inside or outside?
It's really personal choice. Even in bathrooms, we are one of the few countries which seems 'allergic' (but not because of regulations) to ordinary wall light switches (provided they are an adequate distance from bath/shower) - hence all the 'pull switches' here.

Kind Regards, John

I have a mirror above the sink.
And a shaving light above the mirror. (I had a spare)
I find this does a really good job of lighting the wc, much better than the spot light in the ceiling.
Yes, likely because it lights and reflects off the ceiling.

A much better Idea.

My bathroom is not particularly small but is adequately lit by one shaver light.

Rich: Two spots in such a small room as yours is a silly choice.

That looks for all the world like part of a plan for building work you're doing/having done.
Or had done, possibly in the distant past, even perhaps when it was first built. I still use the plans drawn up when work was undertaken on my house 30+ years ago when I want to illustrate things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back