Light switch in a cloakroom/WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a downstairs WC (toilet and small sink). The previous owners hung the door the other way, so that the lightswitch was left behind the door - this makes it (obviously) awkward to get to, particularly as the window is small, making the room dark even during the day.

There is no convenient location nearby in the hallway for a switch and moving the switch to the opposite wall or even installing a ceiling-mounted pull-switch in the WC would involve a lot of hassle, due to the flat roof above and awkward shape of the room (it's under the stairs).

I've since swapped the standard switch for a PIR light switch which means that the light now operates without you needing to touch the switch at all.

My question is - as far as current building regs are concerned, are you allowed to have a standard (or PIR) lightswitch in a downstairs WC ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As long as its in zone 3 or beyond, and its generally suitable for the external influences it'll be exposed to

Sponsored Links
As long as its in zone 3 or beyond, and its generally suitable for the external influences it'll be exposed to

The light-switch is well away from the sink and is 1m away from the shower cubicle on an opposite wall, so it looks like that makes it Zone 3, according to the diagram here :

www.washington-lc.co.uk/ecommerce/Scripts/default~idPage~5.htm

However, at the bottom of the page it says :

"All fixtures and fittings in this room are required to be controlled by a pull cord, all switches that control lighting fixtures should be outside the bathroom with fixtures being suitable for use in the bathroom."

Is this advice wrong, just general (and not technically correct) advice or is an en-suite shower room not classed as a 'bathroom', therefore this sentence doesn't apply ?

No regulation requires pull cord switches in bathrooms/shower rooms, just as long as the switch is in zone 3 (a cord on a pullcord is allowed to drop into zone 2, but the switch must be in zone 3), and suitable its ok. However, I'd recommend a pullcord for most bathrooms, unless there is a good reason otherwise

P.S. next year we'll even be allowed socket outlets in the bathroom, that is, providing you have a bathroom big enough that you can put it 3m from the boundary of zone 1....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back