WC soil connector leaking (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a disaster and sorry for the graphic imagery. Just installed a new toilet with a concealed cistern behind a cabinet unit that extends to the sink. I thought I had it all fitted then took a number 2 only to realise brown water came gushing out from behind the cabinet. I do a lot of DIY but never really toilets so have no idea what's wrong and what parts to get. Here's the setup:

toilet 1.jpg

The toilet and pipe A are brand new.

toilet 2.jpg

The water came gushing out around the rubber seal. When I took the cabinet off to see the pipes the seal was pushed in much further. I pulled the seal out a bit but it's still dripping. The seal is new and came with pipe A. The bend and pipe B are probably decades old. Pipe B goes to the soil stack for all the flats.

toilet 3.jpg

Even with the seal making the best connection it still drips, but thankfully doesn't gush out.

toilet 4.jpg

What it looks like inside the bend and seal.

toilet 5.jpg

I also have this lying around. If I cut the left side shorter and fit it into pipe B and the other end straight on to the toilet, would that be the correct way?

Any help to resolve this situation appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
When using a multikwik/pan connector to another, you’re supposed to use a small piece of soil pipe or extension piece trimmed down to help with the seal. My advice from my plumbing days is to flush a few times before use, rather than find out the way you did.

I think your new fitting will be fine. Leave yourself enough pipe to get a good seal and make sure there's no scale or grit in the join. That old bend looks too sharp to me.
Good luck! Oh, and wash your hands really well afterwards! Lol

Sponsored Links
When using a multikwik/pan connector to another, you’re supposed to use a small piece of soil pipe or extension piece trimmed down to help with the seal. My advice from my plumbing days is to flush a few times before use, rather than find out the way you did.

I might have to do that - I fitted the pan connector and it's dripping. So is it just a piece of brown 110mm soil pipe that goes between that pan connector and Pipe B as labelled in my diagram?

I might have to do that - I fitted the pan connector and it's dripping. So is it just a piece of brown 110mm soil pipe that goes between that pan connector and Pipe B as labelled in my diagram?
No, in between the rubber seal and pan connector

You have in your original pics a pan connector "A" fitting into another pan connector ( marked "Bend" in your pic). A right lash up with incompatible seals.
Show us what you now have ,that still leaks.

No, in between the rubber seal and pan connector
You have in your original pics a pan connector "A" fitting into another pan connector ( marked "Bend" in your pic). A right lash up with incompatible seals.
Show us what you now have ,that still leaks.

It's dripping ever so slightly out of the bottom of here:

IMG_20240317_125530~2 (1).jpg

That's the new 90deg fitting including the rubber seal as pictured above. I did make sure to clean inside the old pipe before fitting so the seal would get clean contact. It didn't feel that tight either.

Given that there are multiseals on that new pan connector it should be fine ,so maybe you have twisted them / mishapen them when inserting. Having said that it should be a tight fit. Are you sure the new pan connector is the correct size ? Some are smaller to fit into smaller waste pipes.
Give us the spec of the new pan connector

Given that there are multiseals on that new pan connector it should be fine ,so maybe you have twisted them / mishapen them when inserting. Having said that it should be a tight fit. Are you sure the new pan connector is the correct size ? Some are smaller to fit into smaller waste pipes.
Give us the spec of the new pan connector

I was very careful when inserting it to make sure nothing was moving out of shape so I'm fairly sure it's just too small. The pan connector specs are:
  • 110mm Outlet
  • 97-107mm Inlet
I might just take it off again, clean, and reinsert to see if that sorts it.

All solved. I'll type it up later just for future reference if anyone has the same problem.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
In the end it was the white seal on the outlet on this that was loose:

toilet 5.jpg

Although that white seal on the left was fairly tight in the soil pipe, it was loose on the actual pan connector it came on!

I ended up buying a different model with a more substantial looking black seal and that seal was properly tight around the pipe and much tighter in the soil pipe. So all good now.
Thanks for all the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back