WD40 on concrete? Heat resistance? And for how long is it flammable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am having a wood stove fitted soon and it will be sat on a concrete hearth. I want to enhance the colour of the concrete, and have read about people using WD40 to enhance the colour of various stones , slate, etc.

Do you think it would be ok to use WD40 in this way?

What kind of heat resistance does it have?

And, if sprayed on concrete, would it remain flammable or would it lose its flammability (and if so after how long)?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Better to use stone sealer more effective than a thin oil .WD40 not flammable when soaked into stone.

my thoughts
wd40 flammable 99-100% all the time[small amount off impurities]
patina given by flamible oily residue remaining
so plan "B" with a specific product for a firey location:D

Last edited:
Owing to the dust from a fire, I would not have oil soaked concrete as would feel this will stick the dust down and be harder to clean.

Also the fact your asking would suggest that best not to do it.
In the concrete WD40 will (probably) not burn when you put a match to it,
but after many soakings might keep dropped logs/wood alight for longer.
And would then be embarrassing to tell fireman 'i thought it would be okay because I asked someone off internet'. :>

Better to use a stone sealer product that will be easier to clean after firs has been on.
SFK

Sponsored Links
The anti-dust concrete sealers are made using water-glass and are fireproof as it puts a coat of pure glass on the surface, might not be as strong of a sheen, but you could colour it with a tiny bit of dye perhaps.

how about asking someone that does drives, they colour in concrete all the time :)

Many thanks for the replies :)

I like the look of the concrete when simply wet with water, so anything that would darken and enhance the colour the same way water does would be perfect. I'll take a look at stone sealers but if anyone knows of specific products that would be most helpful.

I really don't need much either.... We're talking the surface area of a sheet or two of newspaper at most!

Cheers

Oops, somehow doing the obvious evades me! Sorry about that, I should have started with a google search but I - for some strange reason - for it wouldn't be something other people wanted to do!

Also, I've found out LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock will do the trick too, and brings stone/concrete up a really nice colour (if you like the "natural" look). Have been advised to wait at least three days for it to fully cure, due to it being a hearth and the heat/fire risks. LTP are such a fantastic company to deal with as well; very helpful customer support, and happy giving samples so you can try before you buy. Can't fault them.

Thanks again for all the help.

The base oil in WD40 is a thin silicone oil, that part is non-flammable, but I think it is mixed with other oils/naptha so will be flammable for quite a while

In the end, we used coffee grounds from a cafetiere! It's change to colour to just the kind of thing we're after, didn't cost a penny, and isn't flammable :) Thought I'd share and update in case anyone trying to do similar comes upon the thread in the future.

Still buzzing from all the extra caffeine though!

Staining wouldn't be a problem. It's all very old and knackered anyway, so staining would just add to the character!

In terms of whether it will last, what makes you think it won't? I must admit, the same thought crossed my mind too but then I couldn't think of what or how the coffee stains could come off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back