Confused about "distance to combustable materials"...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have just purchased a wood burning stove and am in the process of fitting it. A local HETAS registered fitter is going to come and install the liner, connect it up and (hopefully) sign it off. I'm gonna do pretty much everything else.

I have removed the old gas fire, tidied up the opening and installed a new lintel. All good! The house is late Victorian and would have originally had a suspended floor, however this has been replaced by a gigantic concrete slab at some point. The existing hearth is a mixture of red brick and concrete so I'm gonna pull it out and lay a solid concrete slab meeting building regs..

Anyway, I was hoping to tile the recess and have a wooden surround, however if the distance from the sides of the stove to the wooden surround has to be 600mm.. well that takes it well past the edges of the chimney breast! And it's not a particularly small one..

So basically, am I reading this right? Is there anyway of fitting a wooden surround to a wood stove without it being 600mm way in every direction? Anything I can do to reduce the distance? Between the flue and combustibles has to be thrice the outside diameter of the pipe (?) but this can be reduced if using a heat shield.. anything similar for the surround?

Cheers,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Your Heatas engineer, might/will be the best person to ask them questions, if they are signing the installation off?

your stuck really
you may have a small amount off wiggle room off perhaps 50mm
but in general you need a heatproof surface iff less than recommended
you could off course have a heatproof material at say 125mm and that will cover the heat requirement behind that surface
but you need to remember the heat issue is in all directions including up and down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back