WD40 on TRV pin or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I've seen a lot of mixed messages on this. Is WD40 ok for having a go at loosening the jammed pin on a TRV valve (I mean on the part attached to the radiator, not the removable head)? I've heard some things about damaging the seals but some people say it is fine. If WD40 is no good, would GT85 be ok?
Cheers,
Andy

Sponsored Links
It’s fine! It’s a lots of hysterical b**locks that wd40 will damage the seal.

it wont work though as its the valve seating that has stuck, tap the pin or give the valve body few taps

I always leave my TRV's on max when the heating system is not being used to prevent sticking.

Sponsored Links
I here my TRV's exercising the pins at 12 mid day every Saturday, it must use a little battery to do this, but not had any pins sticking. I would think the valve uses some natural way to ensure it does not wear or stick, and likely each make uses what their designer thought was the best option, and likely this has changed over the years. The traditional impregnated string used to stuff glands would have the grease or tallow washed out using any solvent, but it is unlikely any valve uses that today.

WD40 is not really a lubricant. It is a "water displacement fluid version 40".

WD40 is not really a lubricant. It is a "water displacement fluid version 40".
Indeed, which is why I use GT85 on my bike chain rather than WD40. But there are many videos on Youtube of using WD40 to this effect, and indeed they even make this suggestion on their own website.

Indeed, which is why I use GT85 on my bike chain rather than WD40. But there are many videos on Youtube of using WD40 to this effect, and indeed they even make this suggestion on their own website.

I think what people get confused with is the fact that it used to be a Water Displacement fluid (the 40th version tried) but nowdays WD40 is a BRAND. They make all sorts of fluids, not just one. Perhaps you should give this particular WD40 formula a try on your bike chain. ;)

64FB9DE7-BB54-4659-BB07-566C03A0A2F1.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back