Can I use WD40 on my radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey room,

Two of the thermostats on my central heating radiators jammed. This isn't much of problem because they are in the on position but I don't want to use them all the time.

I've taken the cap off and tried to turn it using a wrench but it ain't moving. So can I use a lubrican such as WD40 to try and loosen it?
Will this damage anything?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Chris,

Please confirm what you mean by "thermostats".

Are they wheelhead/lockshields or TRVs

Rico

Not sure what those 3 are but it's small and white at the side of each radiator. There is a small cap on top that can be removed with a philips screw underneath it.

Sorry I can't be more help

Chris,

Thats your lockshield, at the other end should be an identical looking valve but with a tap head on it.

If these are stiff then yest by all means use WD40 to loosen up.

What you may find it the gland nut the spindle goes thru may weep when you turn it, but this should just need nipping up to stop the weep.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Steve,

That should be the wheelhead end.

The top should just pull off and then you can use your WD40

Rico

These valves are very poorly designed. There are only a couple of turns (or less) from full open to close. Hold the valve body with grips and try to turn the spindle..(but normally it just shears off :) ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back