Weak roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The surveyor checking out a potential purchase for me claims that the roof timbers are not strong enough to take the clay tiles and that the original roof was probably felt.
I informed the estate agent who tell me that they sent a roofer to check it out and that theres nothing wrong with it, and that he is prepared to put it in writing.
Now I don't know who to believe or what to do.
The bungalow is a timber framed dwelling built in the 50's if that's any help.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Gonna need to give some timber sizes, spans, centers and photos inside the loft..

A pitched felt roof? really?

Check the local area for similar buildings and see what roof they have..

Yeh I got an idea the guy is a muppett. He said exactly the same thing about a similar dwelling a few streets away. Likened the roof timbers to that you'd find on a shed.
Surely a roofer would'nt go round putting up tiles if the timbers were not upto the job of supporting them.
cant really get measurements coz the loft has been converted so cant see the timbers.

Yeh I got an idea the guy is a muppett. He said exactly the same thing about a similar dwelling a few streets away. Likened the roof timbers to that you'd find on a shed.
Surely a roofer would'nt go round putting up tiles if the timbers were not upto the job of supporting them.
cant really get measurements coz the loft has been converted so cant see the timbers.
Hmm.. well if you cant see the timbers it makes me wonder how he can be so sure they are undersized.. If they were too small they would be showing signs of distress, sagging ridge line, slipped tiles, cracks in the converted loft ceiling etc..

Was this for some kinda homebuyers survey? Or valuation?

It was for a home buyers report.
This is the guys exact words. The main roof is covered with concrete tiles, which are too heavy for the design of the roof frame.
Sagging in the covering outside indicates that the load is not adequately supported by the roof timbers,
which were designed for a lighter covering, such as felt. The covering needs to be stripped and
replaced.

Had a look on streetview and the roof shows up quite well if you zoom in.
Don't know what to look for though.
The address is 18 brooklands gardens, Jaywick, CO15 2JP if you wanna take a peek. Its the one with the horrible 6ft fence at the front

View media item 23172
Taken from good ol google earth..

Looks like the frontage from your photo has been updated and repainted so this one is old.. but the roof looks like its been there for a good 20 years.. have they replaced the one shown here with something new?

Yes the frontage has been updated. painted and new windows etc.
From your pic your right, that roof has been there for a while.
Must admitt didn't pay much attention to the roof when I viewed, but would imagine the vendor would have used it as a selling point if it had had a new roof fitted.

Well ive a fairly low opinion of homebuyers surveys.. but the old photos of the original roof dont really show any obvious signs of distress.. ridge line is moderately straight, stainage and deteriation of the woodwork and tiles is typical of coastal property..

Next time you pop back to have a nose around check for signs of cracking in the ceilings and the external walls that may show that the roof is spreading out.. also check if the tiles look the same as that photo, if they are new concrete ones then maybe they are too heavy..

Take a newer photo if you can for comparison

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back