Weather compensation & Wireless TRV control

the thing one has to remember is that given that modulating room controllers must and do save energy then one has to ask why Honeywell who make a significant amount of them do not sell them in the UK.

Even if they only saved 5% of gas that is one hell of a lot of gas over the 100s of thousands they must sell over a 5 year period.

and if the saving really were 20% as the manufacturers clam, that would be free gas for the users every 5 years...with a corresponding reduction in CO2.

Granted the user has to set them up properly...

Sponsored Links
I have evo at home and my boiler is weather compensated.

It works beautifully. Although my system was designed from the ground up to work that way.

I've just moved in to new house and am designing from ground up as old boiler and cylinder are broken beyond repair.

I spoke to Vaillant about using Evo in combination with their weather compensation and they told me it's one or the other but not both. I also spoke to Honeywell and the support guy I spoke to did not know if it was possible. How have you got both working together?

I was going to have a Vaillant 637 eco-tec plus sealed system boiler installed but it's not too late to change.

thanks

I have evo at home and my boiler is weather compensated.

It works beautifully. Although my system was designed from the ground up to work that way.

I've just moved in to new house and am designing from ground up as old boiler and cylinder are broken beyond repair.

I spoke to Vaillant about using Evo in combination with their weather compensation and they told me it's one or the other but not both. I also spoke to Honeywell and the support guy I spoke to did not know if it was possible. How have you got both working together?

I was going to have a Vaillant 637 eco-tec plus sealed system boiler installed but it's not too late to change.

thanks
Get an Intergas. Much better boiler, and the integration of controls is very simple. Weather comp sensor is about £20 and has its own dedicated connection on the board. Are you sure you really need 37kW? That's huge, how big is your house?

Are you sure you really need 37kW? That's huge, how big is your house?

House is square in foot print, detached, double fronted, about 2700 sq/ft with attic conversion.

We have a 300L unvented cylinder (just fitted) currently supplying hot water off the immersion until the new boiler is fitted.

No, not at all sure I need a 37kW boiler. It was recommended by our heating engineer.

Sponsored Links
Intergas will work with Evohome and accept the OpenTherm bridge.

Best of both worlds.

Thanks Dan. I really want this to work (excited by both) but I'm concerned that the weather compensation and evoHome will conflict with each other. I'm not confident that they have been designed to work together. Can you go further to explain how they work together?

Evohome, currently, doesn't use the outside sensor data.

The OpenTherm bridge regulates flow temp setpoint based on internal reference. Works perfectly in my house which has mixed emitters.

Will give you a Class VIII erp compliant system too.

The OpenTherm bridge regulates flow temp setpoint based on internal reference. Works perfectly in my house which has mixed emitters.

Ah ok, so do you mean the Evohome overrides any data from the WC sensor (but is able to regulate the flow temperature because the boiler supports OpenTherm)? If so, does that mean there's no point in getting the WC sensor for the Intergas?

The protocol in theory transfers the data from the boiler to the controller which then decides what to do.

I know the Evohome controller currently ignores this data. However, it is designed to receive over the air updates and Honeywell have lots of plans in the pipeline.

It hardly works on a simple system, don't put any faith in it doing anything complicated like using outside sensors.:whistle:

Save your money, wait there's a few others joining this game that will be better.:D:p

Will give you a Class VIII erp compliant system too.

Three evohome units in one property you mean? Not one control unit and two radiator valve heads.

Nope - one base station.

One HCC80 for UFH controlling manifold with the number of sensors for the number of zones (interesting developments coming this year on that front too ;) ).

If it is just one huge zone you can do away with eh HCC80 and control the lot using a SmartZone valve and a single sensor like the Y87RF.

HR92's on rads, or just put on separate hydraulic zone and use sensors to control a zone valves.

If system us being piped from scratch, take each rad back to a central manifold and control that as if it was UFH too (which what I have done).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back