Weather compensator location & Viessmann or Ideal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of reviewing some quotes etc to urgently replace a Baxi Solo, which has died, with a combi boiler and am looking for some advice/answers. Initially, I planned on having the Viessmann Vitodens 100W fitted but, of all the quotes received so far, the company I'd prefer to use (theyre not the cheapest) seem to favour/install Ideal Logics and cant provide the Viessman with the 5yr guarantee - as not trained. Two companies actually suggested the Logic (despite my concerns re Ideal) so I'm trying to keep an open mind - if the Logic were fitted it would eliminate a spacing issue I'd have with the Viessmann. My questions are:

- should I bin any consideration around the Ideal and go with the viessmann?
- should I delay (brrrr..) and get more quotes etc that I'm happy with from a company that can offer the 5yr warranty or go with the 3yr?
- if I do get the viessmann fitted could I have a weather compensator fitted on a north east facing wall (i.e. can it be angled so it faces North)?

A few questions sorry, but answers to any of them would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
- if I do get the viessmann fitted could I have a weather compensator fitted on a north east facing wall (i.e. can it be angled so it faces North)?
It doesn't matter which way it faces, all that matters is that it is out of the sun and hence unaffected by solar heating. The NE wall will therefore be fine.

Mathew

Thanks MFN, thats good news re the weather compensator and thanks Gasman, being completely in the dark re heating I wanted to be sure I wasnt trying to compare apples with apples - just need to see how long I can hold out without hot water/heating whilst I get more quotes. The boilers offered so far include Ferroli?, Ideal, Vokera and Baxi; as yet unable to get a viessmann trained engineer to come out before next Tuesday which considering the weather is quite understandable.

Sponsored Links
In the upmarket boilers,there is also Atmos, ATAG, MAN, which goes under the name ECO-Hometec. Many on here swear by the Dutch Remeha Avantaplus boiler, being high quality and well priced. Remeha have bought out Baxi.

It doesn't matter which way it faces, all that matters is that it is out of the sun and hence unaffected by solar heating. The NE wall will therefore be fine.
The sun rises in the East, so a NE facing wall will get the sun early in the morning. How much depends on your latitude.

The sun rises in the East, so a NE facing wall will get the sun early in the morning. How much depends on your latitude.

You can fit a plate in front of the sensor with air flow at the top and bottom. Then there is no direct sunlight hitting the sensor.

It's rarely, if ever, an issue in such a location as the intensity is relatively low particularly if it is located higher up so as to minimise solar reflection. As Gayton says there is always the possibility of fitting a shield, or give other consideration to the exact positioning, as it is often the case that you don't have the luxury of full choice in siting these sensors - indeed even a readily-available non-South wall is usually a bonus from the outset!

Mathew

Thanks for your comments. I seem to have lucked out in getting someone viessman trained to quote anytime soon - demand must be high. Todays quotes and suggestions were for either a worcester or viallant (no models identified) but all would fit a viessman if required without the 5yr warranty. Interestingly one of the companys suggested I shouldnt bother with a powerflush which I thought was standard - he said if really concerned I'd be better spending the money to swap the rads...I'm assuming the worcester and viallant boilers also have weather compensators so will take a look at them tonight.

Mate, its so bad its funny - slagging off an unreliable German product and promoting Ideal!

iv only ever had problems with veissmann, logic seems excellent no problem in over 16 months not one. iv fitted more than 30 by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back