Weather-proofing a projecting brick course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - as I am about to embark on a roofing project, my research brought me to this website which I have found informative and hilarious in equal measure. Hence I thought I would reach out to get the guidance of roofers and leadworkers alike for my following dichotomy. Below the parapet of our house is a projecting brick course, which when we arrived was covered in moss, damp, and darkened with weathering. I am considering running some lead flashing over it to ensure there is no ingress, but have a few questions that i would welcome your thoughts on:
  1. What code lead would you use?
  2. Should the flashing start 2 courses above the projecting brick course?
  3. I assume the lead should be run in 1.5m strips max?
  4. Where the lead laps should it be folded back/sealed in some way?
  5. How should the lead be held down to avoid it lifting/flapping around in the wind? Leadmate, or fix a batten below the brick course and use lead dots? Is there a risk fixing with dots that you risk the lead tearing over time?
Ive attached a few picks and profile drawing of what i am considering. Thanks in advance for your time and attention - d.

upload_2022-3-31_10-30-57.png

upload_2022-3-31_10-31-2.png

Sponsored Links
"over-sailing course" - never heard it described as that - love the technicals! So the grey lines you can see beneath each over-sailing course, looks like it is just cement pointing. It is a very neat straight line however - do you think there could be lead behind the pointing, and under the course?

Looks like a pointed joint cut off to me.
The sand and cement pointing won't be doing it any favours ...

Sponsored Links
I don't take roubles. There isn't enough in the world worthy of my knowledge .
Euro or us dollars please

It's just struck pointing. The pointing had dipped where the the fella trowelling has followed the hollow spalled brick. The joint a couple of courses down is pointed and struck the same.
Thanks, I did question myself after posting.
I couldn't see any joints! :)

And the one million rouble question at today's exchange rate is ..... lead or mortar?

Kyiv if it's not to much trouble .
Just mind the c rams.
Or maybe Berlin , they need to feed the gas meter

Folks - firstly, sorry for the delay! COVID finally got us... virus in itself was fine, but having all the kids off school while trying to work was painful! The comments however have made me chortle, and feel much better. Now to your questions:

And the million rouble question is ...... why?

Sounds ridiculous as i type, but the course looks dark, and will definitely be a point of ingress, and what with the plonker who repointed the place with cement (not lime mortar), any moisture will no doubt linger... And I thought a nice bit of traditional lead would look quite neat...

Fraid to confirm you are right - there is a broken section of struck pointing, and ive checked i cant back to the lime, theres no lead hiding
You win

Where do you want this? Enjoy your sandwich. (y)

View attachment 265874
Re picture - haha, at some point it will be cheaper to burn fivers than use the gas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back