website question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have website that was designed and managed by Yell. I have since had a dispute over their management of this site.
So cancelled my contract with them, I would like to have/use the website address as it is on my business cards, advertising etc..
Is it possible to claim the website address?

Sponsored Links
PBD, you are always best having your own website done by an outside company and then having a link from your yell/thompson advert going to your website. If Yell have made your website then I think it would belong to them, you would have to read the small print.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is it something like www.mycompany.com or it it more like www.yell.com\mycompany for example?

If it's the former and you paid to register it, you probably own it; but you can check using one of the many whois sites you can find with Google. You should also have the registration document. If it's the latter, you don't own it.

Is it something like www.mycompany.com or it it more like www.yell.com\mycompany for example?

If it's the former and you paid to register it, you probably own it; but you can check using one of the many whois sites you can find with Google. You should also have the registration document. If it's the latter, you don't own it.
It's www."mycompany".co.uk
I have been paying in agreed instalments for the site, not just the maintenance of it, for the site design and construction.

The domain name is probably yours then, but you could check here. Type the domain name (mycompany.co.uk) in the box and you will see the registration details. You should also have the registration document.

You can move it where you like with respect to hosts but there may be a cost. Contact your current or prospective host for more details. You would need the source for the site content itself if you intend to use it again, but Yell should be able to provide all the info.

Google website designer in your area, try to find a one man band and show him your website and ask how much it would cost for him to set up a new one for you. (But Better) This way if yell start to play up and wont let you have it then at least you have a back up plan. Also it gives the designer a idea of what you had and liked.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back