Wedge and pin soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm wanting to form an opening in an existing internal block wall. I've been thinking about how I'll go about it. I've been advised to "wedge and pin the soffit" of the opening. I didn't want to sound stupid at the time, but I'm not sure what it is and how you wedge and pin the soffit?

I'd appriciate any advice, thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never heard the phrase before, maybe a north of the border phrase.
If you give suchn detail as size of opening, type of wall, any loading above , etc, then I'm sure we can help.

:confused: Not a phrase i'm familiar with either.

I think he means how to finish the underside of the opening.

Thanks for the replys guys.

It's a 140mm ground floor block wall. My plan so far was to prop above where I want the lintel, knock the wall through, insert my new lintel and quoin up the jambs.

Maybe wedging and pinning the soffit is just tidying up the door head?

Is there anything else I should be doing? As you can probably tell,I'm not a regular at diy!

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
In forming an opening, you need to insert a support for the wall above the opening - a lintel or beam

Wedging and pinning is the term use to describe the packing (ie slate packing) of the joint between the lintel and the wall above to ensure it is tight with no settlement of the wall - which could happen with mortar and voids in the joint

Oh that makes sense about the packing above the lintel!

Thank you all for your help, I'm just going to give it a go at the weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back