Weed bags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often find myself pulling weeds out of the garden and filling up a few bin liners. If you've ever done that, you will know its difficult to hold it open and push the weed into it and also, it starts to tear with pointy weeds applying pressure. Not fun...

I think I need some of the garden reusable bags or whatever they are called. There are plenty of options online but keen to hear from the community on any that they have used and stood the test of time.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I keep an old Ducksback pot that's stood up to all kinds of abuse over the last ten years - it takes a good amount of weeds, i tip 'em into a new bag til it's big enough to hold open then just use that for anything too big to go in the pot.

Lidl sell them for about £4 each, they're OK last about a year or so, we generally have 2 in use and replace as necessary but then I tend to fill them up quite full and drag them up concrete steps and through a very narrow gap with rough render each side so they're abused quite a bit, I wonder if any last much longer.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I keep an old Ducksback pot that's stood up to all kinds of abuse over the last ten years - it takes a good amount of weeds, i tip 'em into a new bag til it's big enough to hold open then just use that for anything too big to go in the pot.
I tend to have a bit more than a 5L tubs worth. This weekend, I filled up 4 black bin liners

I tend to have a bit more than a 5L tubs worth. This weekend, I filled up 4 black bin liners
Even so, if you read my post again, i start with the small stuff, squish it down, then gather large stuff to put in.
Garden clearance is another matter altogether.

Friends of mine that are gardeners use the large woven bags that sand is often delivered in.

Toolstation sell a number of woven bags, including Hippo bags.

The Lidl ones are pretty big must be about 300l or something but really I think that type of thing will be similar quality wherever you get it.

Screwfix sell black tubs with handles. I can't remember how much they are but I doubt they're more than £2 each. I bought ten of them a few years ago and have mixed cement in them, carried potato harvests in them, collected weeds, etc. in them. They obviously stack and they're far more durable than the woven bags.

Not sure what you do with your weeds once they're collected, but if you just chuck them in the brown bin or a compost heap I'd go and grab some if you could.

Screwfix sell black tubs with handles. I can't remember how much they are but I doubt they're more than £2 each. I bought ten of them a few years ago and have mixed cement in them, carried potato harvests in them, collected weeds, etc. in them. They obviously stack and they're far more durable than the woven bags.

Not sure what you do with your weeds once they're collected, but if you just chuck them in the brown bin or a compost heap I'd go and grab some if you could.
I'd appreciate a link to these. Very interested.

£1.39 each. They're only 14 litres but if you're just pulling weeds and not chopping away at leylandii these will be perfect.
Think I need something more substantial as I would also want to use it for the grass clippings collected by the mower. I do have some of these buckets and use it for general weeding across the lawn which tends to be small and not too much. I then have some larger parts of the garden that I clear out once in a while and it grows thick and high.

What about a 'Trugg'? They're much bigger, have handles and last years!

What about a 'Trugg'? They're much bigger, have handles and last years!

A few of them would work and I've used those in the past. I agree that they are very tough!
I am just weighing up whether I should go for a few of those or 2 of these as they provide 600 litre capacity

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back