Weed killer leaking out into back of van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gardener friend uses this sprayer for weed killer. I noticed when it toppled over in my van some was leaking out of the top. I believe it's glyphosphate, maybe that Gallup stuff. Will it just dry and become harmless or is it a health risk? What container should i put in in the hazardous conditions in the back of my van to contain any leakage?
20230608_140023.jpg
20230608_113149.jpg

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of

Buy some timber batten and make a frame/cage to stand in.
Screw or glue it down.
Stixall polymer and a few screw is what I'd use.
I'd use a rubble sack lined the timber frame as cheap to replace.

Other option is a cheap bin from B&Q or other DIY.
Screw and washer to hold BIN through side to van. Drop rubble sack inside to lift out spills if you get any.

Going to have to wait a month then seed grass

Wash it out with a hose.

It will be inactivated when it soaks into soil with organic content (but not clean sand, gravel, concrete)

Sponsored Links
. I believe it's glyphosphate, maybe that Gallup stuff.
You should know what the chemical is, the container should be correctly labelled, you should have the MSDS that will give you the information required to deal with spills.

If you don't know what chemicals are going into the back of your van, or they are inappropriately stored (In this case a small propane canister), spills & leaks may cause unexpected reactions...

1686257404371.png

If you don't know what the chemical is, and don't have the documentation - don't let it in your van.

Weed killers are not very effective. After a while you have to buy it again. Total waste of money if you ask me. If your gardener mate knows how to do perma-kill, ask him what's the secret sauce?

You should know what the chemical is, the container should be correctly labelled, you should have the MSDS that will give you the information required to deal with spills.

If you don't know what chemicals are going into the back of your van, or they are inappropriately stored (In this case a small propane canister), spills & leaks may cause unexpected reactions...

View attachment 305525

If you don't know what the chemical is, and don't have the documentation - don't let it in your van.
What caused that?

Reminds me of

Buy some timber batten and make a frame/cage to stand in.
Screw or glue it down.
Stixall polymer and a few screw is what I'd use.
I'd use a rubble sack lined the timber frame as cheap to replace.

Other option is a cheap bin from B&Q or other DIY.
Screw and washer to hold BIN through side to van. Drop rubble sack inside to lift out spills if you get any.

Going to have to wait a month then seed grass
It's crazy in the back of my van, stuff falling on stuff maybe a plastic bin which is bungeed to the side with weed killer standing upright.

I guess I'll clean out van and hose the floor. How dangerous actually is weed killer?

It's crazy in the back of my van, stuff falling on stuff maybe a plastic bin which is bungeed to the side with weed killer standing upright.
Anything to keep it upright, putting it in an empty bucket is better than nothing.
Also, make sure the pressure is released using the valve - then check again, especially when it is hot weather.

Think weed killer is Gallup XL, so he says. He says I'm paranoid. Also will this container be water tight? How about it mixing with leaking petrol?

Decided to go for plastic bin- cheaper
16866639205741308850207449023644.jpg

20230613_135949.jpg

Last edited:
Think weed killer is Gallup XL, so he says. He says I'm paranoid.
MSDS attached.
For spills, absorb with sand or earth and clear up into a marked sealable container. Wear gloves...

Screenshot_20230613-142714_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It's not being paranoid, wanting to know the correct way to do things! :)

Attachments

• Gallup XL-UK 2019.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 59

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back