Weed killing around plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used some cardboard to shield the plants. Is this all u can do?
DSC_0169.JPG
DSC_0168.JPG

Sponsored Links
What weeds are you trying to kill? I can't see much in the photos.
If it's just small things germinating in the stones, I'd just pull them out or rake the stones around.
If you must spray, do it on a day with no wind and hold the sprayer close to the ground.
If you do get spray on the plants, washing it off quickly with a hose might help.
Yes you can try to protect them with carboard, plastic bags, whatever.

It's too early for weedkiller, you need to do it in the growing season

Sponsored Links
It's too early for weedkiller, you need to do it in the growing season

Dear scbk from Invernesshire,

"Growing Season" is different further south. Even here in Edinburgh!

That stuff is rubbish as is Weedol and Roundup since the Eurocrats got their hands on it. This is the stuff I use. Kills everything it touches so don't get it on things you don't want to kill. Also wear the gloves provided so that you do not get it on your hands. Read the instructions thouroughly.
(Glyphosate)

Roundup IS glyphosate, with the added ingredient of a brand name, advertising and price tag. So is Weedol. You can buy unbranded glyphosate cheaply in the big supermarts, DIY sheds and garden places at lower prices. Have a look at the label and you will see.

The concentrate that you mix with water is much cheaper than ready to use bottles, where you are paying for 90% tapwater.

I personally wouldn't be risking using glyphosate close to plants I want to keep. I'd either simply weed out the plants I don't want, or perhaps also sow or plant some kind of low ground cover plant that I did like, or put down some kind of mulch to keep the weeds down.

I personally wouldn't be risking using glyphosate close to plants I want to keep.

Yes, that’s often the right decision.

An exception might be, for example, if you have weeds with lots of roots and pulling them up would cause a lot of disturbance to more fragile plants that you want to keep. In this case, carefully applied glyphosate might be a better choice. One method is to use gloves: wear a fabric glove over a rubber glove, and soak it with the weedkiller; then run you hand over the weeds. Much less dangerous to the other plants than spraying. But have a watering can full of clean water handy so that you can rinse off the good plants in case of accidents.

retail packaged weedkillers almost all use glyphosate as the active ingredient.

Unfortunately they arent that strong, the commercial version gallup is much stronger, Im surprised you dont need a certificate to buy it.

Weedol used to be paraquat based, it stopped photosynthesis so was very fast, it was used a great deal for spraying around base of trees etc to kill weed seedlings. It got banned in around 2005, probably because it is poisonous and there is no antidote!

The Eu want to ban Glyphosate due to possible links to cancer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back