Weep vents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had an extension done and naturally wanted the outside to look smart. The builder used K Rend but every couple of feet there’s a weep vent, which looks horrendous! K Rend say their product is proud but can’t advise, Building control have been less than helpful. Any thoughts? Ignore the generally shoddy rendering in the photo, that’s another issue that isn’t getting resolved quickly.

Attachments

• 77766377-B538-4E93-AD55-81FFBCD702C6.jpeg
    77766377-B538-4E93-AD55-81FFBCD702C6.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 3,284
Sponsored Links
Weep vents are required. In fact, you should have an additional row further down above the lintel.

Two rows? Why would that be? I’ve been keeping an eye out when driving around locally (there’s a lot of building work going on in my neck of the woods) and nowhere else seems to have these.

LABC guidance allows them to be omitted in rendered walls provided there is no brickwork above, like here. They are required beneath the parapet but those could have been inserted in the rear face assuming it is a masonry cavity wall. In any case there are tiny 10x10mm ones available and the renderendering is dreadful.

Sponsored Links
I know, the rendering is shocking and I’m trying to get him back to do it properly. And really not happy with the hopper either. What should have been a lively extension looks so ugly.

Assuming weep vents to the cavity wall are at the correct levels they should be at 450mm centres. Additional row of weep vents at the lower level would be to the cavity tray dpc over the opening.

Assuming weep vents to the cavity wall are at the correct levels they should be at 450mm centres. Additional row of weep vents at the lower level would be to the cavity tray dpc over the opening.
They're not necessary in a rendered wall, another one not up to speed with the latest regs.

I just apply the latest LABC guidance on my projects but if you wish to carry on doing something that's unnecessary I'll back out of the thread now and leave you to it. The OP asked if they were necessary here they are not.

I just apply the latest LABC guidance on my projects but if you wish to carry on doing something that's unnecessary I'll back out of the thread now and leave you to it. The OP asked if they were necessary here they are not.[/QUOTE
Might depend on the quality of the rendering :!:

'Weepholes are required where render is returned back onto the window/door frame at the head of an opening. Weepholes are not required where the render is not returned or only returns to the toe of the lintel, leaving the underside of the lintel exposed. ' - quote from Nhbc standards . Generally exposure rating might also be a consideration and fully open perpend weep vents required if timber frame construction, and walls should not be rendered where full fill cavity insulation is used. So -
They're not necessary in a rendered wall,
- isn't the full picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back