Weeping wall plate - stuck for ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, I'm a reasonably competent DIY plumber and am completely flumoxed by a persitently weeping wall plate.

I am installing a wall mounted shower mixer valve (Ideal Standard) and have used brass wallmounts. The shower fitting comes with a fitting to screw in (see picture). The thread on this is of a 'jagged' design I have not come across before.

plumb.jpg

Normally when dealing with a wall plate and screwing in a fitting, copious amounts of PTFE stops any weeps. I have tried this, even fibre washers stuffed in, but to no avail. I get an annoying weep when water pressure is restored. Am I missing something here?

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
The jags are to make the ptfe grip. You have to wind it on tight and run your thumbnail round the thread sometimes.
I wouldn't add boss white, but have added silicone (LS-X) and it works, for the odd crazy one which won't seal.

Strachan said:
Ptfe tape and a bit of Boss white, or other jointing compound will sort it out.
Never mix Boss white and PTFE. They are both oil based and the BW degrades the PFTE.

A good wrapping of PTFE never usually fails

Look out for a split or crack on the seam of the fittings. Doesnt happen often but when it does it tortures you and has your life.

Sponsored Links
Now i never knew that :eek: That`s straight from Boss technical department when i rang to ask if they were compatible for a steam fitting. I stand corrected. Cheers slug.

had a similar problem with a 15mm nut only after changing the olive twice , i removed it to find a hairline crack in it .then it broke in two after hitting the wall at great speed. :mad:

All,

Overwhelmed by the responses - many thanks indeed.

I'll try again :D

I have some LS-K, so will wind on the PTFE again and a smudge of LSK and see how it goes (checking for hairline cracks first!)

PS - do you think the crack is more like to appear in the wall plate or valve?

Thanks again

Chris

PS - do you think the crack is more like to appear in the wall plate or valve?
999 times out of 1000 its the wallplate.

The fitting that goes into it is usually a tapered thread which forces the seam ever so slightly apart.

Overtightening used to be the sole cause but now cheap fittings are pouring in from Italy and other dubious tat peddling locations, their poor quality makes a failure more likely.

I once found a 22 mm compression coupler which had formed a split along the line of the flow and being mains water was causing quite a lot of leakage.

The split was primarily in the centre and did not seem to be particularly related to either compression nut.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back