Weird Hotpoint WD420 washer

Well if you are prepared to keep fixing it & parts remain available I can't think of anything that would make it irreparable. Perhaps if the main board or motor failed you might come to the conclusion it is not economically worth bothering. Obviously there is life in the old dog yet ;).

Sponsored Links
A little more progress on this..

I checked the resistance of the heater thermistor at the main PCB end of the lead and it showed around 33K, the same as directly at the thermistor, so the blue wires are making contact with the IDC plug, despite my damaging that. Whilst there, I noticed I had made a stupid error - I had connected one of the heater spades onto the heater ground terminal and the ground at spade of the heater. As said, I am working in a very cramped space and difficult to see what I am doing with it on the floor.

All is now working as it should, except for the dryer part - the dryer wasn't working prior to this anyway, but it was though never used so never repaired. The 'Dry' light was flashing, because I had accidentally set the dry temperature to other than 'off'. Time to now fix the final screws in the case, put the tools away and put the machine back where it belongs under the utility worktop for hopefully the next 16 years :)

Well done you, and well done Hotpoint (as was owned by GEC) ) only the 1st set of bearings in 16 years? My 22 year old one WM51 has had 4 sets so far, and 2 motors - not - cos they burn out but 'cos the bearings become noisy and you can't replace the one on the commuator end of the rotor.... plus umpteen sets of brushes. Did you see the state of the heater? If you live in a hard water area its advisable to descale the w/m say every 3 months else the heater will burn out, and it's another strip down to change. Later models, , you can't split the drum so you can't replace the bearings, I'd recommend hanging onto yours as long as you can!

Well done you, and well done Hotpoint (as was owned by GEC) ) only the 1st set of bearings in 16 years? My 22 year old one WM51 has had 4 sets so far, and 2 motors - not - cos they burn out but 'cos the bearings become noisy and you can't replace the one on the commuator end of the rotor.... plus umpteen sets of brushes.

Yep, first set of bearings, and it's first major repair of any sort. It has had relatively light use over the years, by minimising the number of times it needs to be used. I have lots of clothes , so I can afford to just stack them up to await a full load before running it.

I remember having to repair it just out of warranty, when it suddenly began misbehaving - I traced that to a capacitor, which was under rated for the temperature environment it was in, set between two quite warm heat sinks. Lots of others suffered the same fate, and an easy permanent fix, with an uprated temperature capacitor. Then the drain pump was once jammed by a bra wire :)

Did you see the state of the heater? If you live in a hard water area its advisable to descale the w/m say every 3 months else the heater will burn out, and it's another strip down to change. Later models, , you can't split the drum so you can't replace the bearings, I'd recommend hanging onto yours as long as you can!

Yes and there was a light coating of limescale on it, but not enough to be a real concern, that despite it never having had any descaler since new. None-the-less, I ran some descaler in it after I had rebuilt it and got it working, leaving it to soak for 24 hours.

Girlfriend when I told her what I was busy with, mentioned her 3 year old machine's drum was noisy. She's hoping the insurance she has paid for it since she bought it will replace it with a new one, assuming fitting a new tub will be as much as a replacement machine.

Sponsored Links
Girlfriend when I told her what I was busy with, mentioned her 3 year old machine's drum was noisy. She's hoping the insurance she has paid for it since she bought it will replace it with a new one, assuming fitting a new tub will be as much as a replacement machine.

She has just rung her washing machine insurance and they have told her to check the filter is clear. They will come out and check it, but if they find nothing wrong with it, there is a £100 fee for a wasted visit. No doubt if they do find it faulty, there will be some clause which makes the fault an exception and not covered.

She has just rung her washing machine insurance and they have told her to check the filter is clear. They will come out and check it, but if they find nothing wrong with it, there is a £100 fee for a wasted visit. No doubt if they do find it faulty, there will be some clause which makes the fault an exception and not covered.
Do machines that age still have accessible filters, ours does not.

Do machines that age still have accessible filters, ours does not.

I don't know about that age, but mine does not. Mine includes a rubber 'sump', with a sort of basket, and a large, hallow ball. The ball is able to float up to block the drum outlet. It then is piped even lower to the drain pump. It can be accessed, via a removable panel, at the bottom rear, but needs tools to remove it and the filter.

The front kick panel is just clipped in place, but behind that is a red clip in plastic cover, which might have original been an easy access to a filter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back