Weird lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy that owned my house before me was an electrical engineer. I suspect he done a lot of the electrics himself and although he obviously had the electrical knowledge he clearly knew nothing about building regs, as I discovered when I ripped apart the kitchen to find a 10mm cable to the cooker run just below the bonding plaster at a perfect 45 degree angle.

I examined the lighting circuit in the garage, a condensed version of which is shown in the crude schematic attached (JB=Junction box, X=Ceiling light). I know you can essentially branch out anywhere on a radial but is this circuit permissible?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-14-23-24-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-14-23-24-58.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
Nothing eletrically wrong with it, as such. Perhaps he liked junction boxes.

He could have run the cable from light to light - if the location of the lights and the routes made that feasible and better.

he clearly knew nothing about building regs, as I discovered when I ripped apart the kitchen to find a 10mm cable to the cooker run just below the bonding plaster at a perfect 45 degree angle.
That's not actually an explicit BR contravention. There is no BR which requires cables to not be run like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back