Weird or what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I let myself in to what I thought was my empty house this afternoon, apart from the dog, which met me at the back door, to hear what sounded very much like someone coming down the stairs. Stairs run down, almost over your head, when you come in the back door.

Wendy was supposed to be at work, but she might have come home sick, so as no one appeared I shouted her name - no answer, not the dog coming down the stairs, she had met me at the door and nothing out of place.

It wasn't next door, because stairs are at the far end of each of the semi pair.

I have just mentioned it to Wendy and she suggests she has heard similar. Thinking about it, I had thought I'd heard something/someone moving about upstairs a couple of weeks ago. Weird or what?

A sort of in house joke, for as long as I have lived here, with now three partners, for unexplained things happening and noises is - Fred at it again, with a shrug.

Neither of us believe in ghosts and ghouls. Neither of us intimidated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I lived in a house with my partner back in the 80,s..... we used to hear things like this ... footsteps coming down the stairs.... doors opening closing all the time.... one time the remote went missing couldnt find it anywhere.... bought another one same thing happened 2 weeks later but when we was moving out the 2 of them was at the back of the wardrobe??? to put those there myself I would have to empty the wardrobe,move it and put them there.... I used to give her a lift to work every morning, got up one day could not find the keys anywhere and had the place upside down.. got a taxi.. picked her up from work and when we got in with her keys found my keys on the keyholder where i left them the night before?? ?? plus other odd things happened... moved out later

I lived in a house with my partner back in the 80,s..... we used to hear things like this ... footsteps coming down the stairs.... doors opening closing all the time.... one time the remote went missing couldnt find it anywhere.... bought another one same thing happened 2 weeks later but when we was moving out the 2 of them was at the back of the wardrobe??? to put those there myself I would have to empty the wardrobe,move it and put them there.... I used to give her a lift to work every morning, got up one day could not find the keys anywhere and had the place upside down.. got a taxi.. picked her up from work and when we got in with her keys found my keys on the keyholder where i left them the night before?? ?? plus other odd things happened... moved out later
Weatherspoons has a lot to answer for. :whistle:

We have a very 'busy' house due to the sheer amount of stuff we have, plus the terrific number of places we have to store things, so things do have to be put back where they belong and it annoys me when something goes amiss. I bought myself a large USB memory stick last year, which went AWOL soon after purchase. During lock down it became difficult to get an haircut so we decided to cut each others hair, using those electric trimmers with the plastic depth guides. The haircuts turned out so well, as desperation turned to confidence, that neither of us has been to an hairdresser since then. They were going so well, I ordered up an expensive pair of hairdressers scissors. They were put in the drawer with the electric trimmers, then promptly disappeared and before they had even been used.

Not an exhaustive search, but I have several times spent hours obsessively trying to see if I could find those missing items.

We have a very 'busy' house due to the sheer amount of stuff we have, plus the terrific number of places we have to store things, so things do have to be put back where they belong and it annoys me when something goes amiss. I bought myself a large USB memory stick last year, which went AWOL soon after purchase. During lock down it became difficult to get an haircut so we decided to cut each others hair, using those electric trimmers with the plastic depth guides. The haircuts turned out so well, as desperation turned to confidence, that neither of us has been to an hairdresser since then. They were going so well, I ordered up an expensive pair of hairdressers scissors. They were put in the drawer with the electric trimmers, then promptly disappeared and before they had even been used.

Not an exhaustive search, but I have several times spent hours obsessively trying to see if I could find those missing items.
When you stat forgetting what you did the night before is past the time to reduce the alcohol intake.

Recently i read the experience of a woman in Canada who put up with odd happenings in her house - doors open when she had shut them, pots moved, pans used and put back askew: turned out there'd been a squatter in her loft the whole time.
He'd left the place spotless and never appeared threatening but it gave her a queasy feeling all the same.

I have to say, I no longer drink at all. Not a drop.
But I forget all the time.
So not alcohol related in my case!

I thought you were going to say you bought a USB memory stick then forgot where you put it......!

Just wondering if you had a cat.

I hear noises on the stairs when I am home alone and I find it's catty coming up the stairs. I would have thought he wouldn't make so much noise, but he does. Surprising, but there you are.

I know from bitter experience that mice can be very loud! :mad:
In our case they aren't coming into our house from the outside, or getting into the rooms (so absolutely no evidence of rodent activity). What they are doing is running about under the floorboards, coming from gaps and voids between the terraced houses.
I am about to rip the bath and floor out in the bathroom, JUST to block up the gaps.
I b***** hate mice! :cry:

Just wondering if you had a cat.

I hear noises on the stairs when I am home alone and I find it's catty coming up the stairs. I would have thought he wouldn't make so much noise, but he does. Surprising, but there you are.

No cat, but the 35Kg dog's default favourite spot is at the top of the stairs and she sounds like an elephant when she goes up and down the stairs. Wendy 53Kg I never hear on the stairs.

..and no, I barely drink at all. A glass of my delicious home made wine with my evening meal is usual consumption, though I will confess to have been got drunk once this year, for the first time in many decades.

I wouldn't usually remember where I had put a USB stick, rather I would rely on having put it somewhere sensible.

Sponsored Links
Back