Weird wall sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently doing a bit of a renovation on a 1940s-ish house and I've found these in a couple of rooms. I've no idea what they're for. If anyone has any idea what they're for and what to do with them I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance,

Dom

20181116_131439_zps7i1e8buc.jpg

20181129_152601_zpstrqurnaf.jpg

20181116_131407_zpssnyenxve.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wow, that's them.

Ok thanks, that's really interesting. I suppose my next question would be what to do with them? Am I right in thinking that this is a different low power circuit that the normal plugs? I couldn't replace it with a normal plug socket?

If so would the neatest thing be to terminate the wires in a suitable connecting block and then put a blank plate over it?

Thanks again,

Dom

Sponsored Links
It's normal voltage.
You could fit 5A round pin sockets if you want.
Try and fit out what size fuse they are connected to

They maybe useful for lights? Would it be a good place for lights to plug in

I currently doing a bit of a renovation on a 1940s-ish house
Unfortunately so did a numpty who loved there before you:

upload_2018-11-30_15-30-30.jpeg

If that was his idea of what constituted acceptable work you should prepare yourself for any number of horrors.

Am I right in thinking that this is a different low power circuit that the normal plugs?
Don't know.

What size cable(s) have been used, what rating is the fuse/MCB, is the circuit RCD protected and does it actually have a functioning earth?

Unfortunately so did a numpty who loved there before you:

If that was his idea of what constituted acceptable work you should prepare yourself for any number of horrors.

Ok, thanks. Care to expand a little on what's quite so horrific?

Cheers,

Dom

Ok, thanks. Care to expand a little on what's quite so horrific?

Cheers,

Dom
Looks like the Earth wire is Blue instead of G/Y .
Hard to tell what colour L and N is due to the Grey sheath of what looks like Double insulated singles.
Unlikely but theres a possibility they are not mains voltage and as you say there is a few of them, they may be part of a "Pulse" system, where you had 1 master clock and the others are slave.
Though for safety assume they may be mains voltage.

The point of them outlets was that they are slim enough to go behind the clock.

Shock horror!
No one has commented on the lack of a grommet and earth wire for the back box yet.... :)

They didn’t fit grommets back then.

Or earth links. Didn’t even have an Earth terminal in them old boxes

May be earthed via the socket screws but from what I see y'all frown upon that and insist upon a separate link from the accessory to the backbox.
And absolutely must have a grommet, otherwise grommet manufacturers would go out of business :)

Bit late now though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back