WELL DONE! Parts Center.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At last one of the industries big players is taking the reins. According to May edition of the GI mag, Parts Center is STOPPING the sale of gas conveying parts to those customers who aren't CORGI registered.
Surely this step will make it harder for illegal gas workers to operate, Although it wont stop them all together. Maybe in 18 months/2 years time we will see a report announcing the fall in gas incidents resulting from incompertence, who knows a future government may see sense and prohibit the sale of appliances and fittings from BIG SHEDS?.

Sure many of you RGI's reading this will agree with the move, after all its maybe a sign for the future of our industry.

Sorry neglected to include commencement date, January 2008. :oops:

Sponsored Links
clf-gas said:

Just enough time to change thier minds but spin it in a way that looks like they are providing greater client service

And what if someone wants to get a part for gas equipment to carry out maintenance in their own property?

keyplayer said:
And what if someone wants to get a part for gas equipment to carry out maintenance in their own property?

Then they CAN'T.......... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well until the government outlaw this type of work, I'd say the Parts Centre will be making a huge mistake from a business point of view. There's no way they'll do it alone.

corgiman said:
clf-gas said:

Just enough time to change thier minds but spin it in a way that looks like they are providing greater client service

I hope its not "spin" CM, if it turns out to be the sign written van goes and I'll get a new horse. NO markings :LOL:

until the government outlaw this type of work

Thats a step in the right dirrection
There's no way they'll do it alone.

Hopefully they won't, the others may follow suit. Perhaps the start of a chain reaction :?:

Well there's no harm in dreaming I suppose. (you that is, not me) :)

clf-gas said:
Maybe in 18 months/2 years time we will see a report announcing the fall in gas incidents resulting from incompertence

I somehow doubt that

Restricting the sale would probably only create a black market in (possibly) uncertified parts...increasing the danger!

who knows a future government may see sense and prohibit the sale of appliances and fittings from BIG SHEDS?.
why stop there? - after all, there's more deaths/injuries caused by ladders... ;)

There are some products that are sold only to those who are licensed/qualified to possess/use them - guns and Class A drugs being the obvious examples.

In both of the above cases it's still possible to buy the products, at a hugely inflated price, but the world is generally a better place for the restrictions being in place.

Then there are products whose possession and/or use isn't illegal, but the manner in which they're used might be. Radar trap detectors, for example, whose possession has been legalised.

I'm too lazy to check the figures, but I'd expect to find that speed on the road kills and mains many more people, and destroys more property, than dodgy gas work does.

I would question the motivation of Worcester in declaring this noble intention. If it's so important to do it, then why not do it immediately? And why announce it?

Restricting the sale would probably only create a black market

I concur, with the increased prices would'nt this out price the illegal gas worker.....

OK..OK.. point taken.... With appliances in mind, if your an installer/engineer then how many times have you seen these very badly installed. Personally I've seen quite a few, one only yesterday and that family is very lucky to still be here.

I Was in Parts Center this morning, having the usual banter when the subject turned to this, the staff, and the chaps came to the same agreement, that steps in this direction are steps in the right direction. I hold my hand up as I agree.

Perhaps if CORGI pushed for higher sentencing for convicted illegal gas work, that would aid too (shrug) I dont know, but one case illegal gas worker is convicted on two counts, fine received of £600 for both and nearly £300 costs (one or two jobs). If that was you or me then it would of been higher, as were registered. AFAIK.

i would say its a step in the right direction. and would agree that gas appliances in sheds should also be addressed, it makes me shudder whenever i see the flueless fires in B&Q.

clf-gas said:
Perhaps if CORGI pushed for higher sentencing for convicted illegal gas work, that would aid too (shrug) I dont know, but one case illegal gas worker is convicted on two counts, fine received of £600 for both and nearly £300 costs (one or two jobs). If that was you or me then it would of been higher, as were registered. AFAIK.

I'm confused. If you're registered you wouldn't be an illegal gas worker?

keyplayer said:
clf-gas said:

I'm confused. If you're registered you wouldn't be an illegal gas worker?

Whats confusing, if an RGI goes to court he faces stiffer sentencing than an unregistered. Fines of hundreds of pounds can run to thousands.

Sponsored Links
Back