Well pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a well and am considering putting a pump down it so that I can actually draw water from it. The well isn't that deep (about 6m) and I am wondering if anyone can suggest an appropriate setup?

I was thinking of a solid copper pipe running down to a pump that runs up to a standpipe somewhere and having some sort of floor/foot switch to trigger the pump next to the standpipe.

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Watering the garden, washing the car - that sort of thing. it will not be taken into the house...

Do you realise that you may have to meter the water and/or obtain a Water Abstraction Licence

Contact your local Water Company for advice.

Sponsored Links
Any submersible pump capable of your lift, tie the float up and use a simple switch above ground and use plastic not copper.

Would you recommend I put a non-return valve on the pipe up high to prevent the water draining back down into the well?

Any submersible pump capable of your lift, tie the float up and use a simple switch above ground and use plastic not copper.

When you say plastic what type of pipe do you mean? there are many variations! cheers

Would you recommend I put a non-return valve on the pipe up high to prevent the water draining back down into the well?

When you say plastic what type of pipe do you mean? there are many variations! cheers
Most pumps come with the non-return valve, most MI`s say put it close to pump discharge and most advise on type and pipe size, find your pump first and go from there.

Ok, so I have a Draper 61668 submersible water pump (was in the shed and used every few years to pump out my pond...). I have tested this and it has more than enough power to get the water from the bottom of the well to the surface with a bit of force in no time. It also comes out crystal clear. I will sit the bottom the pump around 6m from the surface which is about 40cm from the bottom of the well, or at least the silt at the bottom of the well.

I'm planning on doing the following...
  • Use a marine grade stainless steal chain to support the pump, this will be anchored into the side of the well at/near the top. The electrical cable to the pump will go down this, looping through the chain every 0.5m to keep it neat.
  • Setup a rigid (plastic) pipe system underground to a standpipe somewhere that will not have a tap or anything on, but will have the ability to connect a hose to the end.
  • Connect the end of the rigid pipe system, that will point down the well, to a layflat hose that will connect it to the pump. This will make it much easier if/when I need to lift the pump up and out of the water. the run would be straight so there shoudn't be any issues with the hose kinking.
Having thought about it as this is an external installation having water run back down into the well may be a good thing and prevent any possible issues re freezing over winter, therefore no non-return valve proposed.

Couple of questions...
  1. The pump says its not meant to be used for permanent installations - will that matter? I read that as "don't rely on it to keep your basement clear of water etc but think it should be fine left underwater and used sporadically.
  2. Can anyone see any reasons why the above would not work?
Thanks!

Sounds ok to me. I suspect those cheap pumps aren't designed for continuous daily operation, and will wear out very quickly if used too frequently for too long, and that's the manufacturers covering their backsides with potential warranty claims, by saying not for permanent installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back